06 450 Breather / Airbox mods...

90 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:50 AM

...but why fit a motor breather that is expelling extremely hot oily air into the airboot then into the carb ? surely this would cause damage ?

Then every car on the road today would be subject to that damage. Note that the parts are from a stock WR450.

• _JoNeS_

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:05 AM

Oh right I thought the WR's suffered with the same problem, or was that just the older ones ? Do you think it would be sufficient to just run the oil breather into the airbox Gray or do you think I should do something similar to what this kit does ? Ive got some other issues also with the carb vents see my other thread on bike prep for enduro. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:16 AM

On the breather, I would rather run the outlet from the cam box into some sort of small separator, or at least a T fitting, running one leg either down the frame as the OEM one is, or down the back of the engine with the carb vents, as the factory YZF's are, and the other line from the T into either the air boot or to the air box. If it goes into the boot, the air filter protects it from drawing in dust. If you just hang it in the air box, you need some sort of filter.

• tnat1

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:27 AM

I ran mine into the air box and into a small 3oz bottle and put a small pilot hole in the bottle to vent it i did this to catch any oil, I run supermoto so i have to catch any oil. I dont think this will hurt anything.

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I run supermoto so i have to catch any oil.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=606654

• _JoNeS_

Posted April 30, 2008 - 09:54 AM

Here are some photos of the rinaldi engines and how they run their oil breathers, (well I think they are rinaldi), this first one is cairolli's 250f, note its dangling down through the frame (zoom in) seems a bit hit and miss, but I don't knowPosted Image

• _JoNeS_

Posted April 30, 2008 - 09:55 AM

The 2008 mx1 GP bikes, can't even see it on these so not sure what they have done to mod itPosted Image

• _JoNeS_

Posted April 30, 2008 - 09:59 AM

On closer inspection I can see it running down behind swingarm linkage, end slashed... Posted Image

• WB450

Posted April 30, 2008 - 11:18 AM

The first pic seems worse than the stock location, IMO

• tnl

Posted April 30, 2008 - 11:59 AM

Resize your pictures dude!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted May 21, 2008 - 04:11 PM

Did the mod today. There's actually not enough space anywhere in the '06 airbox, which is quite a bit different from previous years. So I ended up routing the hose thru the mudflap.
Rerouting:
Posted Image
Above the shock reservoir and thru the mudflap right corner:
Posted Image
You can see my fingertip thru the 14 mm hole I drilled on the mudflap:
Posted Image
Here's the hose coming thru the tight hole into the airbox:
Posted Image
Also ziptied an endcap with filter on the hose:
Posted Image
The hose is now ready routed:
Posted Image

Now I can stall the bike in deep creeks and dump it in sand without fearing of water or sand getting into the engine.
:thumbsup: :bonk:

thanks alot for the pics man :ride:

just finishd my mod and its preety cool.
Posted Image
the hose dosnt have any kinks, but in some places like where it goes on the shock pigi its very tight fit and makes the hose little narrow. is it a problem??

• Splise

Posted May 22, 2008 - 05:52 PM

Here are some pics now that it is done.

[ATTACH]5373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5376[/ATTACH]

Does a person need to have a heat shield on the breather hose using this mod? I am a little concerned about it melting. I did this mod on my bike, but the hoses are touching the top end which gets very hot obviously. It looks exactly like the pictures shown above. I just ordered the crank hose for the 2006 WR450F, and am going to replace my 2006 YZ450F crank breather with that one. The part number for the hose is 5TJ-11166-00-00 in case anyone is interested. I am not sure if the hose is going to fit as it would on the WR, but I think it should. The WR450f hose is formed to run to the air box quite a bit higher up, and also comes with a heat shield. If anyone knows why this would not be a good fit/idea, please let me know. Otherwise I will post later on how it fits, in case there are people wanting to add this mod to their YZ450F. I would still add the clear T mod to the new hose. Thanks.

• husqy360

Posted May 22, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Does a person need to have a heat shield on the breather hose using this mod? I am a little concerned about it melting. I did this mod on my bike, but the hoses are touching the top end which gets very hot obviously. It looks exactly like the pictures shown above. I just ordered the crank hose for the 2006 WR450F, and am going to replace my 2006 YZ450F crank breather with that one. The part number for the hose is 5TJ-11166-00-00 in case anyone is interested. I am not sure if the hose is going to fit as it would on the WR, but I think it should. The WR450f hose is formed to run to the air box quite a bit higher up, and also comes with a heat shield. If anyone knows why this would not be a good fit/idea, please let me know. Otherwise I will post later on how it fits, in case there are people wanting to add this mod to their YZ450F. I would still add the clear T mod to the new hose. Thanks.

my breather hose dosnt touch the top end.
i think you just need put it on the other side of the throttle cables.

• jeepincameron

Posted June 05, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Never had it melt yet. Been riding in bout 105 heat too.

• M0SSLAGER

Posted September 30, 2008 - 03:19 AM

Does anyone know if this is required on a '01 426 also?

• cowboyona426

Posted September 30, 2008 - 05:44 AM

Not required, but can't hurt anything.

• M0SSLAGER

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:32 AM

So I take it the 450's are different then the 426's in the breather set up?

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:40 AM

So I take it the 450's are different then the 426's in the breather set up?

Not in the least.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 01, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Not in the least.

What he said. For whatever reason, nobody ever had a problem with the 400/426/450 sucking dirt up the breather until 06, might have something to do with the change to a wet sump but I honestly have no idea.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2008 - 06:09 AM

.. might have something to do with the change to a wet sump but I honestly have no idea.

The '06 and up models are NOT wet sump engines. The oil tank was moved from the frame and integrated into the front of the crankcase, but it's still an isolated volume separate from the crankcase and sump. The engine still has a feed (oiling) pump to take oil from the tank and send it to the lube system, and a return (scavenging) pump to suck it up and move it back to the tank, so in that regard, it isn't any different.

In fact, there's nothing any different about the Gen2 YZ450 that should or would cause it to have any greater tendency toward pulling sand up the breather, and in all the desert and dune riding I've done, I haven't had any trouble.

People have reported this as far back as 2000, at least, particularly when stalled or starting in water, so it really is not that new. If you think your riding conditions present an increased hazard, you should modify it, otherwise, it's not that much to worry about.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.