06 450 Breather / Airbox mods...

90 replies to this topic
  • NYMXer

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I was just going to run the hose into the top of the airbox and leave off the little filter. I am almost never in sand or water but you never know!
I'm not too sure I like the idea of that filter bouncing next to my air filter. You know over a period of time it could wear a hole in it.

• SureBlue

Posted March 14, 2006 - 03:13 PM

Nice pics Sureblue... :bonk:

So, is the '06 that much better than your old one?

Thawing out enough over there to ride yet?

(sorry for the OT q's... I'm not lucky enough to have one of those new fangled '06's :thumbsup:)

Thanks ovrrdrive, but the pics were somewhat blurry, guess I can't use my camera. The 04 was real good, I had many good races with it. But this new one is so much better, have ridden it already enough also on a mx-track with the spike tires to be able to tell the difference. Bet you're just in love with your bike and don't want to let it go... :thumbsup: How's bigJ?

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 15, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Posted Image

This is how I routed my 03 hose. Nothing fancy. Just aimed it back toward the airbox. You have to adjust it around when you get the tank and seat on but it works fine.

• Wyatt

Posted March 15, 2006 - 03:37 PM

I got a chance to take a look at my brother's '06 YZ450 this weekend. The bike has 7 hrs on it. I pulled the vent hose loose at the connection to the valve cover and it (like mine) has and sand creeping up the hose all the way to the valve cover.

It is a good idea for everyone to run a filter on the end of this hose.

• ovrrdrive

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Thanks ovrrdrive, but the pics were somewhat blurry, guess I can't use my camera. The 04 was real good, I had many good races with it. But this new one is so much better, have ridden it already enough also on a mx-track with the spike tires to be able to tell the difference. Bet you're just in love with your bike and don't want to let it go... :thumbsup: How's bigJ?

I do love my bike... No doubt about that. :confused:

I did also have my first crash on it too yesterday. I bent up the stock handlebars pretty good with my chest when I hit them.

http://ovrrdrive.mad.../handlebar1.jpg
http://ovrrdrive.mad.../handlebar2.jpg

Left me a nice mark on my chest where I hit too. I am thinking there may be a cracked rib, but it doesn't hurt too bad so I guess I'll never know. :bonk:

http://ovrrdrive.mad...loads/chest.jpg

BigJ is doing great and is jumping higher than his Dad these days. The TTR90 is holding together reasonably well for what it is. We'll probably go to the track next week, I'll try to grab some pics.

Btw, if I ever get to the post office, I have accumulated a few interesting things for you... Hey, I told you that you would have forgotten before I sent them. :thumbsup:

Stay warm over there...

• MotoRick

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:19 PM

This is how I routed my 03 hose. Nothing fancy. Just aimed it back toward the airbox. You have to adjust it around when you get the tank and seat on but it works fine.

I like this method better...
http://www.mcjournal...-0605_page3.jpg
http://www.mcjournal...-0605_page4.jpg

...but I am a bit biased. :thumbsup:

• jeepincameron

Posted July 01, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Yamaha now has a kit you can buy for the 06. It's about $40 and is super clean. Comes with instructions and a T fitting to drain the oil.

Here are the part #'s
5TJ-14453-E0-00, JOINT AIR CLEANER FOR 06 YZ450F Dealer cost $23.32
This is the rubber intake with a small hole in the filtered side of the box.
90413-13004-00, 3 way T $3.76
5TJ-14419-00-00, L PIPE FITTING $1.68
90446-16001-00, CLEAR HOSE $.35
90605-50201-00, PLUG FOR CLEAR HOSE $.42
90468-08104-00, CLIP (recommend getting a few extra) x4, $.42
90467-15012-00, CLIP (recommend the same) x6, $.91

Here is a number if you have a 250f everything else is the same
5UM-14453-E0-00 JOINT AIR CLEANER FOR 07 YZ250F

• jeepincameron

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:16 PM

Here is some of the info from Yamaha

YZ450FBreather Small.jpg

• jeepincameron

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:22 PM

Here are some pics now that it is done.

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Good stuff. I just added this to Common Threads.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:51 PM

jeepincameron- is that the Yamaha recommended routing for the oil trap? Seems kind of weird to do it that way, but it works I guess! Do you actually replace the rubber boot on the airbox with this kit, or just drill a hole in the stock one?

• jeepincameron

Posted August 23, 2007 - 10:10 PM

I've had it both ways. Before I got the rubber boot, I drilled a hole and had it routed in that way. It was on the right side of the boot. Now this one just fit really well right between the throttle cable. It is nice to have the elbow and a good clean fit now though. I would do it this way again. Well worth the lit bit of cash.

• swatdoc

Posted August 24, 2007 - 11:28 AM

I just picked up an oil seperator from Grave's on my recent trip to Calif. It connects to the oil breather, has an air line out the top, and then returns the oil to the crankcase. They use it on their SM bikes. It's not up on their website yet, but if you call they have it.

• angrybob

Posted April 09, 2008 - 11:50 AM

With Yamaha releasing the equivalent to a TSB on this 'fix', does this mean there was an official problem?

Is this mod considered as needed, should do, or must do?

I'm in Arizona and ride the single tracks primarily. No real chance for deep water or real deep sand, but I am thinking that this seems like a good thing to do.

True or lighting a match to $40 for an AZ rider?

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:43 PM

My breathers are stock.

• Bigcr

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Does anyone know how the Yamaha factory mx teams route/modify theirs?

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:24 PM

In this photo of Reed's bike, you can see the breather running down the rear of the engine past the carb and out next to the linkage relay arm. It is not clear whether it T's under the tank and runs to the air boot as well, however.

http://www.racerxill.../0000001239.jpg

• MaxPower

Posted April 09, 2008 - 02:29 PM

With Yamaha releasing the equivalent to a TSB on this 'fix', does this mean there was an official problem?

Is this mod considered as needed, should do, or must do?

I'm in Arizona and ride the single tracks primarily. No real chance for deep water or real deep sand, but I am thinking that this seems like a good thing to do.

True or lighting a match to $40 for an AZ rider?

[COLOR="Green"]Like a bone head, I tried to go the opposite way that my friends were taking around a some water
Their side of the water was 3 inches deep.Unknown to me, the side I took was over 2 feet deep from quads getting stuck and digging it out. This was less than a foot from the edge of the water.
I didnt have my carb hoses routed right (thankfully) or my breather. The carb sucked water and it wouldnt run which saved my engine cause I had a crankcase full of water.

Whether spinning dounuts and dusting me out in the pits or deepening water crossings, them darn quads always seem to get me.
A 40 dollar kit or an easy reroute is time and money well spent[/COLOR]

• MaxPower

Posted April 09, 2008 - 02:31 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Is this an issue on all 450s or just Yamahas?[/COLOR]

• _JoNeS_

Posted April 24, 2008 - 03:35 AM

Here are some pics now that it is done.

[ATTACH]5373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5376[/ATTACH]

doing this solves the sucking in problem but why fit a motor breather that is expelling extremely hot oily air into the airboot then into the carb ? surely this would cause damage ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.