06 450 Breather / Airbox mods...

90 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted February 13, 2006 - 10:56 PM

Is there any thing wrong with just routing the breather hose down along the shock with the carb hoses if your not concerned with water. Newbe to 4-stroke.

Nope, but you may as well just leave it stock because you aren't any less likely to suck dirt or water from either spot.

SureBlue- I had forgot about the beer, thanks for reminding me! :thumbsup: Definitely do the carb breathers if you ride in water at all... I'm not sure what the 450 carb looks like (I will before too long though!) but I just routed the upper 2 into the airbox on my 00 426 and never had any more problems with the bike dying in deep water.

• Wyatt

Posted February 14, 2006 - 07:08 PM

I run a clear hose and a filter that sits right next to the dipstick on the front of the motor. This is working great for me, but would not be the hot set up for off road guys. For MX it is fine.

After running the clear hose without a filter, I could clearly see where my bike was sucking dust up the clear hose after a hard ride. I will not run without a filter now.

• gholt651

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Also ziptied an endcap with filter on the hose:
Posted Image

What kind of filter did you use and where can I get one? :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 15, 2006 - 08:46 AM

I just used a $1.50 oil hose breather from the autozone and shoved the whole thing into the air box. I cleaned up the hose really well btw.

I'll get some pics.

• SureBlue

Posted February 15, 2006 - 01:19 PM

Also ziptied an endcap with filter on the hose:
Posted Image

What kind of filter did you use and where can I get one? :thumbsup:

Got the endcap from an automotive store, don't know what or where it comes from, fitted perfectly on the tube. Then just cut a round piece of an old WorksConnection skidplate foam and friction fitted it in the endcap. Posted Image :thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:19 PM

This all looks great. I did my breather tube today, very simple. I saw first hand last year what can happen to a submerged bike when my bro took his WR for a swim. My question is, what does the filter on the end of the tube inside the airbox do. What are you 'filtering'. Thanks, BnB.

• SureBlue

Posted February 16, 2006 - 01:11 AM

My question is, what does the filter on the end of the tube inside the airbox do. What are you 'filtering'. Thanks, BnB.

:bonk: :bonk: Little gremlins, I guess.
As I already had the filter endcap which I was going to glue onto the airbox I just put it on the hose. Maybe I can justify the filter now by thinking water does not get inside the tube when I powerwash the airbox. (Now, don't ask me why I don't lift the hose outside the airbox when washing :thumbsup: )
But you are right, there is actually no need for the filter, but don't you agree it looks nice? :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:01 AM

There is a need for the filter

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:16 AM

I don't know if dirty air can travel up the tube. I actually doubt it can but the filter makes me feel good.

• WR450Guy

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I don't know if dirty air can travel up the tube. I actually doubt it can but the filter makes me feel good.

The hose is the crankcase vent. While the engine is running, the air pulses in and out as the piston rises and falls, but these pulses are too short to suck in or blow out the entire length of the tube. The problem is when starting the engine these pulses are indeed long enough to suck in something. That's why the stock hose location is only a problem if you stall your engine and the end of the hose is in water. With the engine running the hose location is a moot point. A filter on the end is just extra protection against dirt being sucked into the hose on startup. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:23 PM

My question is, what does the filter on the end of the tube inside the airbox do. What are you 'filtering'.

Have you ever looked in there? :yuck:

I would not like to get anything inside the airfilter but filtered air. If it would happen that the bike was overfilled with oil, would it not get puked out from the breather hose right into the carb if the hose was connected to the filtered side of airbox?
And what if the hose got loose from airbox, would it not suck unfiltered air into the carb?

Your car is doing this right now. Also, if the hose is connected on the clean air side of the filter, your wash cover will protect it while you're cleaning the air box out.

There being no external path from the atmosphere to the crankcase, there would not be anything in the crankcase air except fuel and oil vapor, combustion gases, etc., and we both know that you would never overfill your oil.

Your point about the potential for dirt intrusion if the hose were to come off is valid, though, and makes the case for securing it well.

BTW, mine is still right where it was to start with. :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Take the hose loose where it connects to the top of the valve cover. look into the end of the hose. If you see grains of sand stuck to the inside walls of the hose, then there is a need for a filter.

• altered

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I can tell you that after the first ride with my 06 450 there was definitely sand and grit at the top of the breather hose.
Sureblue, thanks for the mod pics.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted February 25, 2006 - 01:25 PM

FWIW did the mod today on my bike. I found that routing the hose on the left side (similar to how the pics show) of the motor mounts and into the left side of the air box tended to kink the hose less :thumbsup: . Does anyone have an opinion regarding if this routing will change the pressure dynamics of the breather, and if so what are the ramifications?

• Stevequest2000

Posted February 25, 2006 - 03:49 PM

It shouldn't change any dynamics of how the breather works as long as it isn't kinked. The routing posted kinked my hose a little too, so I just routed to the outside of the aluminum down"tube" and into the the mudflap behind it.
I noted some dirt particles in my hose as well and am thankful to all on here that mentioned doing this modification.

• DPW

Posted February 25, 2006 - 05:30 PM

BTW, mine is still right where it was to start with. :thumbsup:

Just curious why haven't you re-routed the hose?

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 26, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Just curious why haven't you re-routed the hose?

I would imagine for one reason only.

If you don't ride in water or deep sand, there's no need to bother.

I ride in lots of water where the potential exists for the breather tube to be submerged while the bike is running. There have been times I've stalled in these streams on XRs and simply kicked them to life and ridden away. Knee deep or higher. Over the engine cases a few times. I've even dropped em seat high a time or two without incident. In those instances I understand its highly possible to ingest water through the submerged breather hose.

Thus my hose in routed into the airbox with a simple PVC filter on it. Mostly to keep water out of the near horizontal hose when washing the bike off. And I do understand that the YZFs wide assed open air box would allow water easily into the filter by the time it gets to carb or tank height unlike the XRs.

• YamahaThumper

Posted March 13, 2006 - 09:30 PM

So maybe this explains when i was going through a big ass puddle and suddenly found a deep rut and stalled. Bike wouldnt start for anything..till i pulled it out of the rut for the breather tube was above water. Maybe I should do this mod.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 13, 2006 - 09:47 PM

So maybe this explains when i was going through a big ass puddle and suddenly found a deep rut and stalled. Bike wouldnt start for anything..till i pulled it out of the rut for the breather tube was above water. Maybe I should do this mod.

Actually, you probably need to route one of the carb lines to fresh air (up to the airbox). I had the same problem on my 426 until I ran two lines into the airbox by T-ing them... still haven't decided how I want to tackle it on the 450.

• ovrrdrive

Posted March 14, 2006 - 03:50 AM

Nice pics Sureblue... :thumbsup:

So, is the '06 that much better than your old one?

Thawing out enough over there to ride yet?

(sorry for the OT q's... I'm not lucky enough to have one of those new fangled '06's :thumbsup:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.