110 leaded?

24 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:59 PM

They have 110 octane leaded fuel at a gas station round here....its 4 bucks a gallon. do you think my pig would run on that stuff? if so, what would it do to her? more or less power? i want to just give it a try, buy like a quart just to see what it does. does anyone think it will hurt my baby?

• yz250ftony

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:04 PM

It wont hurt it. Unless if it has catalytic converters(no). My 250f loves it.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:14 PM

do you need like a special gas can to put it in?

• HawkGT

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Unless you've got a high compression piston and/or advanced timing the extra octane provides no benefit. The stock 10:1 compression ratio of an XR650R gains nothing with 110 octane. The higher cylinder head temperatures of air-cooled engines are more prone to detonation but the XR650L's stock 8.3:1 compression ratio is FAR from needing anything close to 110 octane.

I posted this elsewhere but I'll re-say it here (with some additions):

It seems to be a common misconception that race-gas is somehow more "explosive" than pump gas and hence releases more power from an engine. It's actually the opposite. High octane race gas is HARDER to burn than pump gas. That's why it is required in modified, high compression engines. High compression can cause pump gas to "explode" prematurely instead of burning at a predictable rate. That uncontrolled "explosion" is called detonation. Put pump gas in a modified high compression engine and the increased compression can ignite the fuel prematurely and in unintended ways (think: diesel). The resulting detonation burns holes in pistons.

The only exception that I'm aware of is specialty race fuels that are super-oxygenated (like NuTec) that are specifically formulated for stock compression engines. The only other benifit of race gas (AFAIK) is that it is often leaded which adds lubricity benefits.

Now, if your running 93 octane pump gas in an engine wide open all the time, you're jetted correctly, and you're burning up lots of pistons from detonation, then a higher octane fuel may be in order. But high octane doesn't add HP by itself.

• hill5150

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:26 PM

They have 110 octane leaded fuel at a gas station round here....its 4 bucks a gallon. do you think my pig would run on that stuff? if so, what would it do to her? more or less power? i want to just give it a try, buy like a quart just to see what it does. does anyone think it will hurt my baby?

nothing...................... will help...that pile............ever............. :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:15 PM

do you need a special container to put it in or just any ol red gas can?

• yz250ftony

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:21 PM

First I bought VP 111 race gas in a blue can, then just re-filled it at the pump with 110.

• Eric Henion

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:24 PM

You need a special fuel container I believe the color is Yellow with a safety cap and grounding cable for static electricity try calling summit racing for it. They are not cheap though I believe the cost is about 3-4 times the cost of a red can.

• roadcam

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:57 AM

do you need a special container to put it in or just any ol red gas can?

SEE ? ... just any stupid thought that comes into his pea-brain becomes another useless post ...
:thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 23, 2006 - 09:56 AM

nothing...................... will help...that pile............ever............. :thumbsup:

makes you sound like bit of a jerk-

d

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:18 PM

makes you sound like bit of a jerk-

d

• gibdog205

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Look for some vp u4e it is oxygenated 87 octane formulated for 4 strokes, i get it locally for about $7 a gallon.

• yz250ftony

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:06 PM

SEE ? ... just any stupid thought that comes into his pea-brain becomes another useless post ...

Just answer his :thumbsup: question and the thread will die sooner. :bonk:

• don87xr600

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:29 PM

So can I increase HP by using a yellow gas can vs. a red gas can?

• captb

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Would Jet Fuel make it faster since jets go fast and that's what they use. :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:53 PM

i thought that was an acceptable question.....

• don87xr600

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:49 PM

wouldn't 111 octane be better?

• FZ1426

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Unless you've got a high compression piston and/or advanced timing the extra octane provides no benefit. The stock 10:1 compression ratio of an XR650R gains nothing with 110 octane. The higher cylinder head temperatures of air-cooled engines are more prone to detonation but the XR650L's stock 8.3:1 compression ratio is FAR from needing anything close to 110 octane.

I posted this elsewhere but I'll re-say it here (with some additions):

It seems to be a common misconception that race-gas is somehow more "explosive" than pump gas and hence releases more power from an engine. It's actually the opposite. High octane race gas is HARDER to burn than pump gas. That's why it is required in modified, high compression engines. High compression can cause pump gas to "explode" prematurely instead of burning at a predictable rate. That uncontrolled "explosion" is called detonation. Put pump gas in a modified high compression engine and the increased compression can ignite the fuel prematurely and in unintended ways (think: diesel). The resulting detonation burns holes in pistons.

The only exception that I'm aware of is specialty race fuels that are super-oxygenated (like NuTec) that are specifically formulated for stock compression engines. The only other benifit of race gas (AFAIK) is that it is often leaded which adds lubricity benefits.

Now, if your running 93 octane pump gas in an engine wide open all the time, you're jetted correctly, and you're burning up lots of pistons from detonation, then a higher octane fuel may be in order. But high octane doesn't add HP by itself.

What he said. Don't use it! Then there'll be more for me! But seriously, If you have an uncorked, well set up and jetted bike, mix it 50/50 with pump gas. If you ride hard and high speed, (on the throttle) you will notice what I refer to as better "quality of power". Yes that means more power. :thumbsup: Hope you're not burning up too many pistons.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 24, 2006 - 02:51 PM

He must not have a 650. lol Jealous. He must be that guy on that plated crf450r that I smoked in a street race.

2000 xr650r plated
lots of mods
uncorked

• yz250ftony

Posted January 24, 2006 - 03:13 PM

Would Jet Fuel make it faster since jets go fast and that's what they use. :bonk:

Jet Fuel is pretty close to kerosene. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.