06 450F - Strange Vibrations

15 replies to this topic
  • MotoSenior

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:31 PM

I was able to take my new 06 450 out this weekend to break it in (by the way, I love it). While taking a few mellow break-in laps, one of the chain adjusters loosened-up and the axle slipped. This caused the wheel to become misaligned and the chain to go really slack. I took the bike home and removed the rear wheel to inspect. Everything looked fine. I went back out today and noticed that when I decelerate, I "feel" a strange vibration. If I pull in the clutch it goes away. My gut feel is that it's coming from the engine. If so, I suspect that the counter-shaft bearing may be bad. Any ideas? Since it's brand new, I'm going to take it to the dealer.

Otherwise, the bike is GREAT! Feels very much like a 250F with more power. Well worth the wait.

• dangwartz

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:22 PM

If it's Yamaha's fault, you shouldn't have any problem since Yamaha has a 30-day warranty on their mx bikes. Let us know how it goes.

• YZF831

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Not to be cocky but did you give your bike a once over before you rode it or just left it the way you picked it up. I know you get a check list from your dealer as did I but I found so many loose bolts and half of them were not torqued correctly that it wasn't even funny. I would ask your dealer what to do but good luck getting them to understand your "vibration" because unless they completley understand I don't think they will just start ordering you parts under warrenty to fix this by trial and error. Again I don't meen to be rude but never trust anyone whose touched your bike without you checking it before you ride, even if it is brand new. I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:25 AM

I found tons of bolts at wrong torque specs - both WAY too tight and barely finger-tight....wouldnt hurt to go through your bike. Check the spokes, chain adjustment, etc too

• DPW

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:04 PM

- both WAY too tight and barely finger-tight.

The three bolts on my oil filter cover I think where tighter than my rear axle nut.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:14 PM

I found tons of bolts at wrong torque specs - both WAY too tight and barely finger-tight....wouldnt hurt to go through your bike. Check the spokes, chain adjustment, etc too

Never ride a brand new bike before checking everything..................otherwise this will be you - :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:45 PM

You're right, GA...I didnt even ride the stock chain or sprockets, front tire, etc, much less ride w/o going through it fully...

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Check the sprocket bolts. If they slipped, you could have damaged the hub already and once those holes are oblonged, the hubs life is limited at best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZF831

Posted January 23, 2006 - 04:01 PM

The three bolts on my oil filter cover I think where tighter than my rear axle nut.

Man I hear you DPW. I just finished with my first oil change and those bolts were outrageously tight, I like how the manual says 7.2 ft. lbs...ha, I mean c'mon, make it simple people.
:thumbsup:

• MotoSenior

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I did a visual inspection, but didn't check torques prior to the break-in ride (lesson learned there). I did go through the entire bike after that ride, and yes I found some under-torqued nuts and bolts, but nothing about to fall off. The sprocket bolts are fine.

I'm going to take a hard look at the wheel bearings, the axle, and the counter-shaft before I take it to the dealer. I'd like to go in with a specific problem rather than a noise.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll let you know what I find out.

• Norman

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Check the chain to make sure it isnt tweaked or bent causing it to not run straight. I had a masterlink break once and the chain came off, I put a new link in and it did what you are describing. I put a new chain on and no more problems.

• ShiftMXer505

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:02 PM

This don't have anything to do with your problem but check your airfilter to make sure it has oil on it. My 06 didn't have a drop of oil on it and thats when i also noticed how lose the number plate bolts were, so I went over everything with locktite. Also when my dad bought his 03 a few years ago he had a mouse nest in his airbox which also ate some of his airfilter which he was not very happy about that.

• dangwartz

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:12 PM

Check the chain to make sure it isnt tweaked or bent causing it to not run straight. I had a masterlink break once and the chain came off, I put a new link in and it did what you are describing. I put a new chain on and no more problems.

Norman. What made you decide on the 06 YZ450F? I see you are coming off of an 04 CRF450.

• Norman

Posted January 24, 2006 - 04:35 AM

I had two 426's and went to the CRF when Yamaha went to a 4 speed. I race harescrambles and needed the 5 speed. I had 3 CRF's and loved them but I got tired of putting valves in them. I never touched my 426's and hope the new one will be as reliable. Also I think the YZ handles better in fast whooped out straights. :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:15 AM

Shift, thats interesting... mine was over-oiled, so much that it had dripped in the airbox and i could sling it off like rain in the driveway

• dangwartz

Posted January 30, 2006 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I did a visual inspection, but didn't check torques prior to the break-in ride (lesson learned there). I did go through the entire bike after that ride, and yes I found some under-torqued nuts and bolts, but nothing about to fall off. The sprocket bolts are fine.

I'm going to take a hard look at the wheel bearings, the axle, and the counter-shaft before I take it to the dealer. I'd like to go in with a specific problem rather than a noise.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll let you know what I find out.

MotoSenior,

Been waiting patiently to see what you found out. Just got mine and I've been going over it. So far so good. Oil on filter seems a little light, though. Anybody check the head bolts after break-in? Is it necessary?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.