WR 450 Float problem?

8 replies to this topic
  • brianjw4

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:15 PM

My WR 450 is pouring gas out of the overflow from the carb, even when the bike is running. Is my float stuck, or is there anything else that could be problem?

• clark4131

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Yep, stuck float. Give the bowl a couple of good taps on the side with the handle of a screwdriver and it should loosen it. Ultimately though, you'll want to pull the bowl and give everything a good cleaning. Same thing happened to me...SC

• brianjw4

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried tapping the bowl but it didn't work. Looks like I'll have to take it off and clean it out.

• brianjw4

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well, I got up the nerve to take the carb out and pull it apart, and there it was, some crap between the float needle and seat. Problem solved!

So after this I decided to mess with the pilot screw.... doh... I can't get it to idle now. What's a good starting point, 2 turns from all the way closed? I'm at sea level.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Set it at 2.5 and go for a 20-minute ride to warm it up. Then idle the bike and start turning it clockwise until it starts to die. Back it out to the point where it sounds the best at idle and not a tick more. If you need to go more than 2.5 then your too lean on your pilot jet, but since it was running well before, then it will likely be something else like a clogged jet...SC

• brianjw4

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks a bunch, I'll give that a try.

• brianjw4

Posted January 27, 2006 - 04:43 PM

I got the MSR mixture screw and got it in and it's idling fine now. The only issue I see now is that I have to turn the mixture screw almost all the way in before the motor starts to hesitate. It idles fine at about 1/4 - 1/2 turn out, but I'm still running it at 1 turn because I don't want it to be too lean.

Maybe the pilot jet is a bit too rich?

• clark4131

Posted January 27, 2006 - 10:16 PM

What size jets/needle position are you running, and at what altitude/temp? Oh ya, what year bike?...SC

• brianjw4

Posted January 28, 2006 - 11:04 AM

It's an '03 WR 450 with all stock jetting as far as I know. I haven't looked at the clip setting yet. I'm at sea level.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.