Just bought my First 01 YZ426F and can barely start it.

13 replies to this topic
  • jecsr

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:44 PM

I woke up today so excited about trying out my dream bike.
This thing is a nightmare for me to kick. 5’10” 140 lbs.
After I was able to get it started I was too tired to ride (45 yr old).
Being tired or not at this point wasn’t even an option.
With all that work, I was going to ride, and ride I did (loved it).
I’ve been riding two stroke 250’s and after trying out a 01 YZ250F
(Which was so easy to kick) I thought I wanted one a little bigger.
Now I wondering if I made a mistake.
I love the power, but might have a heart attack starting it.
It is me and not the bike. The person I bought from started it on the 2nd kick.
My son started it later on today on the second kick as well.
Any suggestions on modifications, brand of after market parts that might help ?

• Fizz

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:56 PM

#1: push the kick down slowly (without any effort) until it stops
#2: pull the decomp handle in
#3: while holding the decomp handle, push the kick down, a tiny bit (easiest done with your hand, till you get used to it) ..
#4: KICK!

i think its easier to have something to lean on, so i can stand up, and get my whole weight on the kick ...

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 01:11 PM

Read this

YZF Starting routine

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Any suggestions on modifications, brand of after market parts that might help ?

Posted Image

• jecsr

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Everyone :bonk:
Tried it three times.
It started on the first kick the first two times, two kicks on the third. :thumbsup:
Thanks again ! :thumbsup:

• Florida_426

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Now go to the 450 DCM thread and read up on this modification, then go install it as soon as you get it in. I did this in June 2003 and I have never regretted the change. I can push through with my hand now and starting is a breeze. Satch did this swap before I did and helped me with my swap on the phone. Great guy that. :thumbsup:

Where are you in Alabama? We're in Pensacola, Florida and ride Atmore MX Park and Irvington Speedway Park a lot. Enjoy the 426, I love mine.

Bill

• villiage_idiot

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:13 PM

jecsr-

Don't feel bad, I've only had mine for 4 days and I'm lining up the parts to switch over to the 450 exhaust cam. I managed to break the decompress lever at Windrock saturday and had to workaround the situation the rest of the day. I figured out I could bleed the cylinder over by applying constant force to the kickstart and then give it a big nasty kick. I went down later and it flooded, THAT was a nightmare. Took a solid 5 mins to get the thing going. From that point on, I made a point of stopping where I had a nice long downhill run to bump-start it in 4th gear.

I'd kill to have that magic button my friends KTM has.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • palmdaleRider

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:55 PM

The compression is incredible. You'll meet this again when breaking with the rear. The tire will lock up, engine will stop and if you are less then lucky you will dump the bike. As you've already seen, starting is about proper proceedure and developing the leg, and that's under stress free conditions. Good Luck and Enjoy. :thumbsup:

• Fizz

Posted January 24, 2006 - 12:08 AM

Read this

YZF Starting routine

thats good info, but i have to disagree with "Step 3: (2) Move the kickstarter about one inch past compression" ...

the less you move the kick the better, my experience say not more than ½ inch ... :thumbsup:

• jecsr

Posted January 27, 2006 - 09:21 PM

Now go to the 450 DCM thread and read up on this modification, then go install it as soon as you get it in. I did this in June 2003 and I have never regretted the change. I can push through with my hand now and starting is a breeze. Satch did this swap before I did and helped me with my swap on the phone. Great guy that. :thumbsup:

Where are you in Alabama? We're in Pensacola, Florida and ride Atmore MX Park and Irvington Speedway Park a lot. Enjoy the 426, I love mine.

Bill

I am in Birmingham AL and so far my son has been taking me to Mill Creek. I have been considering the 450 cam. Would any year work, Like a 2005 set ?

• Satch0922

Posted January 28, 2006 - 03:59 AM

I am in Birmingham AL and so far my son has been taking me to Mill Creek. I have been considering the 450 cam. Would any year work, Like a 2005 set ?

yes. Save yourself some grief though and make sure it's the YZ cam and not the WR.

• Blue ARC

Posted January 28, 2006 - 06:06 AM

I remember when I bought my 2001 426. I used to stare at it in the garage. The only thing was I had a very hard time starting it. I would kick and kick and nothing. A good friend who I bought the bike off of would come over and 1st kick have it running. Rrr
I would go through the starting regime but my problem was I wouldn't use the full stoke of the kicker. That was the trick for me. Start 1/2 in or so from TDC and put a good healthy kick all the way until the foot peg. From that day on I never seemed to have a problem starting it.

• dsconstructs

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:29 AM

Starting the 426 is easy enough once you get the starting drill figured out. At 125 lbs I start mine up pretty easy. I also find TDC, release compression and push past it 1/2" or so and a good firm kick all the way through. I'm still going with the 450 cam, it's sitting here now waiting for a chance for me to install. That's to make life easier when I'm getting tired from riding and the bump start ability also.
The other thing to note is after the weather got colder I had to change my starting drill, unless it's already warmed up, twist the throttle a couple times to prime it, and starting it with the choke off and then pull the choke on right after it starts. Fires right up.

• theclone

Posted January 28, 2006 - 09:27 AM

You don't need the decomp. cam. I also had a hell of a time starting my 400 when I first got it, but once you know the proper procedure, it's very easy.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.