Synthetic oil?

5 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:12 AM

I have a 2001 YZ426 and was told not to run synthetic oil. However, in the thread titled Yamalube below I see that some people are running synthetic oil. I was told not to because it makes the clutch slip too much or not catch at all? Is this correct? Am I safe to run synthetic oil in the bike?

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:17 AM

You CAN run synthetic...most of us do. You MUST make sure it does NOT say 'Energy Conserving" on the info label/seal. Oils marked "Energy Conserving" (most automotive oils) have friction modifiers in them that can cause clutch slipping/damage.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:37 PM

On the back of the bottle, there should be a circle at the bottom of the label showing the API service grade of the oil. The potentially problematic oils will be labeled API "EC II". These oils MAY cause clutch problems. An oil labeled JASO MA is certified as compatible with motorcycle wet clutches, whether it's synthetic or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrdrms

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:46 PM

I have always run Amsoil synthetic in my 250f and I will testify in front of a jury of my peers that it has definantly contributed to the mutant-like longevity of the engine in that machine. :thumbsup:

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Mobil 1 mx4t 10/40 has never let me down change ever 6 to 8 hours

• YZ400FPower

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:36 PM

i run full and it works great!

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.