426 throttle question

6 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I have a 2001 426 and was riding it yesterday and found out that when I have the throttle steady it seems to sputter a little. I am not hitting the rev limiter as its just a half, consistent steady throttle. I was wondering if this is normal and they are made to either throttle or not? If not normal, what could be causing it? It is fine with everything else, when I throttle it hard it is perfect, when letting off the throttle it is perfect and returns to idle fine. Not sure on this one. :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:22 AM

Clean the carb and it will go away. The FCR carb is very sensitive to dirt and one speck will cause this. The only time my 426 ever did what your describing it was caused by dirt.

Of course this is assuming the bike is jetted properly to start with .

• henrysdad

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:45 AM

un-plug the throttle position sensor and try it. Any chance you have a lighting coil in there?They start to misfire when they are on the way out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Clean the carb and it will go away. The FCR carb is very sensitive to dirt and one speck will cause this. The only time my 426 ever did what your describing it was caused by dirt.

Of course this is assuming the bike is jetted properly to start with .

I agree, mine did this awhile ago it was caused by a little black spec floating around in the float bowl.

• Raven1911

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. Does the instruction manual explain this in detail so that I can do it? Also, clean it with contact cleaner right? Do I need to completely disassemble it or just take out the float bowl and clean it? Do I blow it out with an air compressor too or will that damage something?

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:02 PM

DO NOT take loose any screws that have "yellow" paint on them. There are screws that hold the two halves (top and bottom) of the carb together...those are the ones you DO NOT want to mess with. YELLOW=BAD! LOL

Having said all that...take the carb off the bike, take the float bowl off (check the float level while you have it off) spray carb cleaner into the carb , in and around all the jets and blow it out with compressed air. Then reassemble everything.

here is a a downloadable shop manual for the 2001 YZ426F

YZ426F Shop Manual

• Raven1911

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Satch I will try it out and let you know of the findings. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.