Anyone Experience Stiff Clutch on WR?

5 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:12 AM

I've been noticing my new 06 WR 450's clutch level is starting to seem stiffer and it's getting annoying since I jacked up my fingers recently, thus making it a chore to ride and use the clutch as much as I do, especially after a day's ride. Keep in mind that I come from the old school style of moto-x, whereby you are conditioned to always have your fingers on the clutch.

I can barely pull the clutch in without terrrible pain in my fingers (some sort of muscle tear it feels like). The Rekluse clutch seems interesting, but also is very expensive. Is there a way to "butter-up" my lever so it's smoother like on the CR's? Those are like "butter"! It's a new bike so I'm surprised that the tension seems much higher than what I feel when on a CR, for example.

Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:02 PM

there is, you can get different levers with a lighter pull ratio. They are cheap and do the trick nicely. Make sure you lube your cables too, I spray contact cleaner down the cables, then lube with silicone spray / crc / what ever. You can definately feel a difference if you havent done it for a while.

• Punisher 660

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:25 PM

It almost sounds like the retention in the clutch packing is in the wrong order. It might be worth your time to pull the clutch cover and verify the order. My bikes all have easy clutch pull, except for my Raptor, which only had the problem after I changed the clutch. Turned out I put the spring in the wrong order. Corrected the problem and the clutch pull was spot on again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:03 PM

hmmm, interesting...I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I'm open to listening.

So I'd have to drain the oil first in order to remove the cover, correct? Also, can you be a little more specific regarding the "clutch packing" order and what that means to a layperson like myself. I can work on bikes, but I'm not familar with what you are describing to to do? :bonk: Any help would be appreciated. The lever pulls in ok, but it seems a little stiff and seems to be getting a little more difficult to pull now with less than 100 miles on the bike. Again, the Honda clutch levers' seems to pull like butter in comparison and my left hand gets worked by the end of the day as a result.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

It almost sounds like the retention in the clutch packing is in the wrong order. It might be worth your time to pull the clutch cover and verify the order. My bikes all have easy clutch pull, except for my Raptor, which only had the problem after I changed the clutch. Turned out I put the spring in the wrong order. Corrected the problem and the clutch pull was spot on again.

• nevadaoutlaw

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:08 PM

I thought mine 05 clutch was getting stiffer, but when I went to the dealer and felt the new 06 clutches it felts almost the same.

• twenty34

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:25 PM

yea, I'd hate to pull the clutch cover if it's not any issue. Other than a rekluse clutch (seems like a hassle), and perhaps a new lever (not sure how much this will help), I'm running out of options.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.