2006 yz450 subframe reinstall hassle

6 replies to this topic
  • Hillcrester

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:31 AM

After tearing down my brand new unridden 450 to lube the linkage I found the first downside of the aluminum frame. The frame blocks hand and visual access to the rear carb/airboot joint. How do you get the airboot back on the rear of the carb more easily? I got it back on but it wasn't fun. Anyone come up with a better reinstall method.

• 757holeshot

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:33 PM

yeah i used a small amount of lube on the air boot and intalled the single bolt on the top of the subframe (not tight) and the lower it down whilst pushing on the boot abit from the bottom as it contacts the carb just wiggle it abit and it will silde straight on.

• SureBlue

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:48 PM

It's all here, some good advice:
http://www.thumperta...01&parentpage=8

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Yea I posted on that thread to....now I have one and see the real deal...there is no space to get your hand in there period....my next drama... :thumbsup:

• Hillcrester

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:04 PM

I took the great suggestion of removing the top shock bolt to ease installing the subframe and airbox boot to the rear of the carb. I put a 2x4 under the rear wheel, removed the bolt, and allowed the shock to lower about 1". That little extra wiggle room allowed for an easy line up and install of the airboot to the carb. Before, the shock was literally in the way. In addition, with the shock loose, you can pivot it back and see that the boot is all the way on the carb looking from the right side of the bike. I'm also going to move the carb's right rear side vent hose routing to the right front float bowl screw. This will allow better visual check of the airboot / carb junction.

Some observations I made during my disassembly/grease/torque session:
The rear linkage and swingarm pivot bearings had minimal grease. Also, you'll need a 19mm crows foot to torque the bottom linkage bolt to the frame. The frame blocks socket access. The steering head bearings had barely a swipe of grease as well. Tearing her down and lubing the bearings seems almost madatory with these new bikes.

Compared to my 05 yz450, the fitment/quality/alignment of components is a leap forward. I am very pleased with the component quality on this new bike.
Also, you N. Texans can thank me for bringing the much needed rain with the purchase of my new 450 this weekend. Next weekend's dirt should be great!

• DPW

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:07 PM

Also, you N. Texans can thank me for bringing the much needed rain with the purchase of my new 450 this weekend. Next weekend's dirt should be great!

LOL...we needed it thanks! next weekend Nocona!

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted January 24, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Make certain that clamp is completely loose. Also helps to remove shock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.