Bike Security

6 replies to this topic
  • Punisher 660

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I am looking at getting my WR plated this spring. Its a piece of cake here in UT, but my question is about security. For those of you that have your WR licensed for street use, what do you do to prevent theft? I thought about using a chain or bike lock, but that doesn't stop someone from trying to start it, or move it. They could easily cut a chain and be gone in moments. A street bike has a locking mechinism that locks the front foks in a turned position. The WR in European form has an ignition to prevent someone from starting it. Can that ignition be purchased for US bikes? Will it also disable the kick start?

Just looking for some ideas to keep my baby safe if I get her licensed for the street.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:51 AM

I think the best security for bikes are disc brake locks, These seem to cause more frustration for the theives because have to lift the bike into a rig to take it.
Anything that causes a thief to waste time is a good deturant.

I use a disc lock and a cable if there is a railing or pole to lock to.

Also insurance is really cheap if you look hard enough.

Eric

• Bogieknight

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Mine is a UK model and it didn't have an ignition switch. Just the same old push on/off master ignition switch that you describe.

I broke into the wiring loom behind the headlight and wired in a weatherproof key locking switch. It interupts two points of the ignition/starter circuit. The switch is mounted on the odometer plate. I had to widen one of the holes to fit the switch. I can't remember exactly where at the moment because I've not got the information to hand (I'm at work), but once I've got some more specifics I'll let you know.

It does add a little extra security; at the least the bike can't be started without the key. But I also use a disc lock too. At the end of the day if someone wants your bad enough they'll have it, switched off, locked or not.

Bogieknight
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:48 AM

I just have a teather switch... the bike can easilly be rolled away but I dont ride on the street too much, and it does not sit unattended in a parkinglot or such very often...
I barley meet the utah requirments (not including tires) headlight, brakelight, taillight, rearview, and horn..... I am just about scared to death to ride in ogden traffic and have been almost ran down on two occasions....
when I thow out a hand signal to make a right turn most people just look at me with a dumbfounded look on their face, or think that I am waving hello or something.... and it really dosent help that probbablly a quater of drivers in downtown ogden are illegal mexicans who have no drivers trainig at all let alone insurance.... :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:
sorry for the rant... my point was: just becarfull out there, and if you plan on doing a fair amount of riding in traffic, consider turn signals...

• boer

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:27 AM

I broke into the wiring loom behind the headlight and wired in a weatherproof key locking switch. It interupts two points of the ignition/starter circuit. The switch is mounted on the odometer plate. I had to widen one of the holes to fit the switch. I can't remember exactly where at the moment because I've not got the information to hand (I'm at work), but once I've got some more specifics I'll let you know.

Couold you post some pics of your mod. It will help me greatly. :thumbsup: By the way great idea :bonk:

• Punisher 660

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:52 AM

I just have a teather switch... the bike can easilly be rolled away but I dont ride on the street too much, and it does not sit unattended in a parkinglot or such very often...
I barley meet the utah requirments (not including tires) headlight, brakelight, taillight, rearview, and horn..... I am just about scared to death to ride in ogden traffic and have been almost ran down on two occasions....
when I thow out a hand signal to make a right turn most people just look at me with a dumbfounded look on their face, or think that I am waving hello or something.... and it really dosent help that probbablly a quater of drivers in downtown ogden are illegal mexicans who have no drivers trainig at all let alone insurance.... :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:
sorry for the rant... my point was: just becarfull out there, and if you plan on doing a fair amount of riding in traffic, consider turn signals...

Sorry to hear your having a bad experiance up north. I'm on the south end of the valley and only using it for a short distance. I am still considering one of the baja kits just for this reason, but my biggest concern is leaving it in the parkinglot while I'm at work. I have insurance on it, but you know the old proverb....ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

• boer

Posted January 25, 2006 - 08:30 PM

Couold you post some pics of your mod. It will help me greatly. :thumbsup: By the way great idea :bonk:

Bogieknight, have you had a chance to take some pivs of your mod yet?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.