I made my decision on a 06

17 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:33 AM

I picked up my limited yesterday......it was a very hard decision this time unlike years past. I was going to either buy a Yami, a KXF or a CRF.
The Yami and KXF were close to same cost by a couple hundred bucks. The CRF was over a 1000 cheaper. (thanks to TN dealer notorious for blowing out hondas)
My decision came down to this...........
The limited is by far the best looking bike out there. I started racing on a yellow YZ80 in the early seventies...this bike brought back those memories and stock the bike looks trick even with the stock graphics. Resale, if I go this route next year (like all previous YZF's until 03), it (the limited) should be better than the others. Ergo wise it feels like a perfect offspring to my 03 that I have - this is very important. I know how to work and tweek Yami's this is a plus for me. Price was fair although geeze these things are getting expensive.. :eek: My dealer of choice was very fair in price and offered me a great discount on parts - as well a impeckable customer service :thumbsup:
Established reliability of the Yami..........they are just bulletproof. Valves will last and last and last - my 03 is still on stock valves(although this will change with the addition of a Athena kit). The suspension is the best out there and Enzo again will mod mine after initial breakin..of the suspension components. I do hate the low bars and I think that this is why most testers share similar front end push/Stinkbug feel as well as the stupid 739 that only works on one kind of surface - WHY the hell did they not put a 756 on the front? Stupidity!......What was Yami thinking? Already ordered Windham bend Renthal Twinwalls - and MS3 Starcross's/Lightspeed pegs / DID ERT/Ironman Sprockets 49 and 50 - and the list is growing...the bike will be disassembled relubed, rejetted, reassmbled and retorqued before a first ride....this requires a ton of patience not to ride a brand spanking new bike. :thumbsup:

I still think it would have been a toss up for the KXF(I have never owned Green but would proudly buy this bike)......It is in my opinion the best first year effort to date for any dirtbike! - I have yet to ride it but seeing it on one of my favorite tracks MillCreek in Alabama it just pulls and pulls - it was just awesome....and may be considered strongly for 07. 2nd year efforts always resolve the 1st year attempt - KXF does not seen to have many of these issues. If $ was no object I would buy it this year along with my Yami just to see what the fuss is about.....

I have been a Honda Rider since the later 70's/80's/90s with Elsinores,CR's XRs What can I say the CRF for 5600.00 out the door........a great price and a great motorcycle but Hondas are a dime a dozen(in a economic way)....resale sux thanks to this particular dealer and a over saturated market. And although the 06 seems to hold up more than the previous years valve wise, there are other little quirks that hondas have with me....although this model is very refined and is a great motorcycle as DirtRider/HondaRider will wetdream and spoozge all over themselves about (I hate mag test)...I will wait to see what 07 has...and I hope it is not the stupid dual exhaust gig........

Anyway any of them would have been awesome for me....(the RMZ and KTM were not even under consideration) These things above are what I toiled with mentally and this is my decision and today I am totally happy about it...........Man that shade of yellow and Black looks great! I can not wait to get my backgrounds designed to match........ :bonk:

• SureBlue

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Congrats David! I thought you were not going to buy a bike before 2007. :thumbsup:

• debounce

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:49 AM

The bars are rediculously low, and the front tire isnt great, but that is the only thing you can possibly complain about on this bike. That thing has so much power, such perfect suspension, and such good handling, there is nothing you can find wrong with this bike. Don't forget to raise the forks up in the triple clamp to the first line on the top of the forks, and set your sag to 98. The front end was still pushing pretty bad in some turns with only the forks pushed up and stock sag, but as soon as I set the sag and get new bars, I'm sure it will handle like my CRF250. On the turns that it doesn't push in, it already handles like it.

• SureBlue

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:51 AM

And remember to reroute the breather tube to the airbox.

• CRFThumper

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Great move!!!I know I love mine.You seem to have been around bikes long enough to know but I'll say it again anyway,grease the linkage and head set bearings NOW!Mine were almost dry,it's like grease is to expensive to use!! BTW,Have you used roostmx for backgrounds?They are in your neck of the woods and do a great job!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:48 AM

Great move!!!I know I love mine.You seem to have been around bikes long enough to know but I'll say it again anyway,grease the linkage and head set bearings NOW!Mine were almost dry,it's like grease is to expensive to use!! BTW,Have you used roostmx for backgrounds?They are in your neck of the woods and do a great job!

CRF Thumper - are the linkage bearings sealed non maint yellow like previous years? The lower shock bearing is standard bearng pins rght?
RoostMX is good I may see if they can copy my 03 backgrounds in yellow and black -
For alabama - did you go to a 48 pilot and move the clip up from #4 to #3? What did you do with the main?

SureBlue - I could not wait any longer.... New bike fever bad:thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:34 AM

congratulations...your gonna love it.

• debounce

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:36 AM

The linkage and head set bearings on mine were covered in grease. Maybe the dealer greased mine.

• CRFThumper

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Yes,right,and roost can do anything you need them to!It is way cool to buy from a company that cares about customers! In my case I could not get a 48 pilot jet in time for the weekend so I drilled the stock jet and got lucky!!!
I think I ended up with about a 47 or 48.The main stayed the same.I did move the clip to the next groove to the #3.The fuel screw varies from about 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 depending on the day.For here it seems to be a good setup What part of GA. are you in?Do you ride mx or woods or like us both?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RAMARION

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Congrats David...............

But you don't know what EXCITED is until you ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:58 AM

you've no doubt seen the jetting stuff posted here... :bonk:

I suggest you raise the forks to the first line as well (5mm or so) - and get rid of that 739.

Hope you enjoy your new YZ as much as I do mine :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:10 PM

And remember to reroute the breather tube to the airbox.

That's not necessary for motocross riding.

If you're trail riding across streams and rivers...then you should do that.

• SureBlue

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:28 PM

That's not necessary for motocross riding.

If you're trail riding across streams and rivers...then you should do that.

...or in soft sand like dunes (if you plan to fall :thumbsup:)
I'm not going to take the risk even though I mainly ride motocross.

• aedwards07

Posted January 22, 2006 - 01:15 PM

The bars make such a difference.I thought the stock bars werent that bad(I am 6'2") but then I put on a set of Whindham Twinwalls and they made a world of difference.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Cool, Dave! Happy for you. In the long run, I'll bet you're glad you made this choice.

• dangwartz

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for this great report. I am in the decision-making-process myself. My 2 bikes of choice are the 06 CRF450 and the 06 YZ450F. I am like you about the KX450F...leery of first year models. I have been leaning toward the YZ450F simply because of Yamaha's reputation for reliability. I don't like to work on my bikes more than regular maintenance. The valve issues of the CRF450 concern me, although I have read a thread claiming that the 06 models are equipped with valve seats formulated of a new metal compound.

Thanks for filling me on the TN pricing for CRFs. I had seen other threads mention prices of $5700-$6100 out the door. I noticed that the location of these authors was indeed TN. I haven't been able to come close to these prices in my state.

• DKLEIN

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:19 PM

I still can"t believe how light it feels. J/D kit, IMS tank and Carmichael thin walls help clean it up. 02 has 275 hours and valves still same as day one.The YZFs are bullet proof and now ALUMINUM

• Wyatt

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:37 PM

I put on a set of Whindham Twinwalls and they made a world of difference.

:thumbsup: :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.