changing between yamalube oil question

3 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted January 22, 2006 - 02:06 AM

I have a 03' YZ450. The guy before me(1st owner) only used Yamalube 4R 10W-50R semi-synthetic racing oil. I bought a case of Yamalube 4 20W-40 from because they had a reasonable price.
Would I be doing this bike a disservice by doing so?Any performance problems?
I really would like to hear from my Yamaha colleagues to know what you think...:bonk::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:42 AM

No issue...I'm getting ready to do the same thing, but I'm going the other way and switching to synthetic oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxis4me

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:58 AM

probably not ive used 20w40 yamaha oil in my 2000 426 my 02 , 04 with no problems at all . on my 04 450 i started with the 20w40 then switched to amsoil synthectic for 1 season and then had to go back to the yamaha oil ( we lost the amsoil sponsor) but the bike never had any problems with switching oils .now im back using the 20w40 in my 06 450

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:11 AM

Change the oil frequently; 5-6 hours max. Yamalube does not retain its high temperature viscosity particularly well according to testing I have seen.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.