touque wrench

7 replies to this topic
  • buffaman

Posted September 10, 2001 - 01:16 PM

i see in the yamaha manuel almost everything has a torque spec...i've looked at several places to buy one but all has been just ok..anyone konw where to but a quality torque wrench ???

• Jason_Williams

Posted September 10, 2001 - 02:01 PM

Sears has good ones. I have a big one and a small one. smaller one is in inch pounds. I keep a calculator handy. Haven't snapped anything yet!!! This is very rare for me. My friends call me Torque arm!! I am constantly snaping bolts off on my snowmobile!! My wife had no problem releasing the funds for two good torque wrenchs after all the money I've spent on replacing parts :)

• PapaSmurf

Posted September 10, 2001 - 02:15 PM

I just bought a Craftsman Digitork last week. I was doing an oil change and removed the oil line to get the strainer out of the frame. When I was putting it back on the 6mm bolt snapped in half! I was using a cheap beam-type torque wrench. The threads on the bolt were streched so I think it was overtightened at the factory and this was the first time I've ever removed it. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Bought the new one the next day. It's 3/8" drive and goes from 5 to 80 ft-lbs. Very nice! $90 at Sears (a little pricey but worth it for my blue baby!)

• neWRiver

Posted September 10, 2001 - 03:21 PM

PapaSmurf, I'm not familiar with the Digitork wrench, but you might want to check in the instruction manual. I believe that most torque wrenches are rated for accuracy between 20% to 100% of their torque capacity. In other words, a 5-80 ft/lb wrench is rated for accuracy at settings at or over 16 ft/lbs. Accuracy closer to the bottom of the scale (i.e., at 5 ft/lbs) is not so good. A have added a good "inch pound" wrench to my tool box for those 6mm bolts. I think they torque to somewhere around 7 ft/lb. Also, take a close look at all the 6mm bolts involved in your oil & filter change and check for any signs of stress (such as stretching).

This is how I know:

I over torqued the same bolt on my then brand new WR250F (with a 5-80 ft/lb torque wrench), but it did not snap. Well, it did not snap that is until I was out on the trail. My brother just happened to glance back at my bike when we paused on the trail and pointed to the oil gushing out. I immediately killed it. By the oil trail I found later, it had only snapped off moments before. Needless to say I was freaked out. When I got the bike back in my garage I replaced the bolt and drained the remaining oil so I could refill. I got about 4-6 ounces of oil out (OH MY GOD!). Put new oil in and it still runs great today (phew!). I don't want to even think about what would have happened if I had run the bike for even a few more minutes out there on the trail. If my brother had not looked back exactly when he did...(shudder)

Yeah, they are kind of pricey, but once I learned about the limitations of the larger torque wrench, I didn't even bat an eyelash at spending another 80 bucks on another smaller one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buffaman

Posted September 10, 2001 - 03:34 PM

Originally posted by neWRiver:
PapaSmurf, I'm not familiar with the Digitork wrench, but you might want to check in the instruction manual. I believe that most torque wrenches are rated for accuracy between 20% to 100% of their torque capacity. In other words, a 5-80 ft/lb wrench is rated for accuracy at settings at or over 16 ft/lbs. Accuracy closer to the bottom of the scale (i.e., at 5 ft/lbs) is not so good. A have added a good "inch pound" wrench to my tool box for those 6mm bolts. I think they torque to somewhere around 7 ft/lb. Also, take a close look at all the 6mm bolts involved in your oil & filter change and check for any signs of stress (such as stretching).

This is how I know:

I over torqued the same bolt on my then brand new WR250F (with a 5-80 ft/lb torque wrench), but it did not snap. Well, it did not snap that is until I was out on the trail. My brother just happened to glance back at my bike when we paused on the trail and pointed to the oil gushing out. I immediately killed it. By the oil trail I found later, it had only snapped off moments before. Needless to say I was freaked out. When I got the bike back in my garage I replaced the bolt and drained the remaining oil so I could refill. I got about 4-6 ounces of oil out (OH MY GOD!). Put new oil in and it still runs great today (phew!). I don't want to even think about what would have happened if I had run the bike for even a few more minutes out there on the trail. If my brother had not looked back exactly when he did...(shudder)

Yeah, they are kind of pricey, but once I learned about the limitations of the larger torque wrench, I didn't even bat an eyelash at spending another 80 bucks on another smaller one.

====where did you buy the smaller torque wrench ???

• buffaman

Posted September 10, 2001 - 05:03 PM

where did you buy your inch pound wrench. sears told me yesterday they don't sell them !!!...need one soon as i'm going to do the yz timing and i want to make sure to torque the cam tower correctly..any help would be great..model # or something

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted September 10, 2001 - 05:16 PM

Sears Item #00944593000
Mfr. Model #44593
$69.99

This is a must have item!

Go to http://www.sears.com

Then Tools, Mechanics Tools, Torque Wrenches. The url is too long to link...

[This message has been edited by Ron in SoCal (edited September 10, 2001).]

• buffaman

Posted September 10, 2001 - 05:47 PM

HEY THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE SEARS TORQUE WRENCH,FOUND IT ON SEARS WEB SITE, CHECKED THERE INVENTORY AND I WILL BE AT SEARS TOMORROW ON MY LUNCH HOUR..RIGHT AFTER I GO AND GET SOME MORE RACE FUEL. I RIDE EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT AT BEE-CANYON HERE IN GOOD OLE HEMET

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.