Is the Rekluse Clutch that good? 06 WR 450F

22 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted January 21, 2006 - 10:00 PM

so I just started reading about this new type of clutch and it seems interesting. Anyone have any experience they can share? I've also read about the bike jerking, etc afterwards. Is this a pain in the ass to install?

It's pricey at $400 for my 06 WR 450 so I'm curious if it works as claimed and as good as the price would indicate?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 21, 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yep its the real deal. Not too bad to install, however it does take a little playing to get it dailed in just right. We put one in my buddies WR and he loves it. He would be lost without it. Its very fun to ride and I am thinking of putting one in my new YZ. The biggest downside is youre always in "neutral" if the engine isnt running. This can be an issue while hillclimbing. If you dont make the hill, its hard as hell to bulldog a bike down without the rear wheel locked up. Other than that, its awesome.

• Desracer

Posted January 21, 2006 - 10:50 PM

Yes they are very good, do a search for for more info. The biggest thing is to have the bike running well as it can affect how the clutch works. I love mine!

• jaggley

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:13 AM

I had it and loved it, but did not like the engine braking down hill. You can get a perch adjuster for another hundred bucks so that you can keep your clutch lever. If the clutch was hard to dial in the perch is more. I didn't do it right and I smoked my clutch 85 miles into a 130 mile ride at Danial Boone national forest. (very hilly) Then I had to tear it apart and install new clutch plates. The directions with the Rekluse tell you to lock-tite these tiny ass Torx screws. I did that originally and then used a torque wrench to tighten them. When I went to remove them, I busted 6 different T-10 drivers and had to drill out 4 of 12 screws. Also, you have to buy the oversized clutch case cover cause the thick gasket they give you sucks. It leaks and breaks real easy. That cover is $130. My '04 WR 450 cannot be dialed quite write with the standard kit that Rekuse sends you, so you gotta buy these overwieght balls to add to the system, 25 bucks. Finally, good luck getting it write with your oem clutch cable, 40 more bucks gets you a longer cable from Rekluse. All said and told your $400 auto clutch runs you about 700.

I ride with some guys who have this on a WR450, yz 450 and CRF450X and they love it, setup as I just described. I bought all these extras this week and will have it all installed before I go on a three day ride in TN in mid february. I will not ride it before one of these guys tune it for me on that ride, cause if that perch adjuster isn't right, you are f**k*d.

My story
initial love, serious fgrustration, wrist pain from ride after ride of pulling that stiff 450 clutch, Happy ending if Indy450 can tune it anywhere close to his.

• jaggley

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:13 AM

:thumbsup: right write

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:33 AM

Jag is right. I spent $700. to get all that you really need to do it right. Z-start clutch, deeper clutch cover, perch adjustor kit, longer clutch cable, and 6 tungsten carbide balls. Awesome performance! :bonk: :thumbsup: :eek: If you like low speed tight and technical nasty riding it is a great product for wide open faster riding it really has no benefit. :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:42 AM

definitely spring for the perch adjuster....well worth the $$ :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:24 AM

if you locktite the little screws make sure to use blue not red,when removing them use a little heat (i use an electric heat gun) and they come right out :thumbsup: the rekluse is awesome :bonk:

• ncampion

Posted January 22, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Best money I spent on my bike (close second is Scott's stabilizer). Not that hard to set up, just follow directions and do it right. I definitely recommend the perch adjuster. Makes technical riding a breeze. Be careful about starting the bike in gear and revving the motor - recommend installing a neutral light.

• wr429j

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:02 AM

It is pricey, I added the rear brake relocator also which puts the rear brake where the clutch lever was and I have a one finger clutch lever just above that. I love the recluse and having the rear brake on the bars is awesome, I have more control that I ever thought I would from a rear brake. I have had no problems from the install to riding, I use Delo 400 and change after every ride.
The best $$ spent yet.
:thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mousemeat

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:04 PM

One word of warning: I was riding with a guy who had a rekluse in on his two stroke. Was paddling his bike through some low hanging branches at 2mph and a branch caught his throttle cable. He went for a wild ride. His knee and knee brace were both shattered. More likely on a two stroke with the single cable, but still worth thinking about.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:18 PM

that can happen with or without a rekluse,just let go :thumbsup:

• mousemeat

Posted January 22, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Without the rekluse you would be feathering the clutch though, and i doubt a lightly engaged clutch would be able to transmit that much power.

But i agree, letting go would be the smartest option. I don't know that i would think that quick. He went from standing still to flying of the trail in no seconds flat.

its just something to have in your mind when the bike starts to take off with the throttle closed...

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 22, 2006 - 01:35 PM

Great point MouseMeat. I have had the throttle cable fray, break and snap wide open. The kill switch wont work and nor will the perch overide if it is at full open throttle the engine just diesels! As Mountainman says just let go of the bike and let it crash. You can be flying in a split second! Nothing accelerates quicker than a bike with a stuck open throttle! :thumbsup:

• bobsktm

Posted January 22, 2006 - 02:34 PM

With the recluse clutch on my wr it makes really big nasty, rocky hills smaller, and very hard to stall in the very tight woods! :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted January 22, 2006 - 03:31 PM

I'll never own another bike without putting a Rekluse AC in it. Its absolutely the best modification you can do. Its like cheating.

• JMathis

Posted February 04, 2006 - 11:29 AM

So what is the actual purpose of the perch adjuster? I just installed the Auto Clutch today on my 426. I read one post about the problem of stalling while climbing a hill and then the bike is in neutral so it will want to roll backward down the hill. Correct me if I am wrong but if the clutch is installed correctly it should not be stalling in the first place unless you are trying to climb a wall.

• Derik Tate

Posted February 05, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Perch adjuster lets you keep your clutch lever and it still works the same, also makes it easier to put into neutral. I installed it on my 02 WR 426 and it made trail riding a breeze. Never stalled the motor since installed. Yes the clutch will not be in gear when not running. Make sure you have the brakes on or you will have to run after it. I think that this product is well worth the money.

• JMathis

Posted February 05, 2006 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info, I will be getting one soon.

• ksrrider

Posted February 06, 2006 - 10:25 PM

It is a great product and I have been using one in my 04 yz450 since Oct. 2004 due to a finger injury. I don't understand why people think you don't need it for open fast stuff, because eventually your going to go slow. I race D-37 desert and there's always a lot of technical and thats where it shines. Also no problem going down big hills, when you use rear break the engine goes to idle, then blip the throttle and "wala" engine braking. I like this feature because you can't kill the motor accidentally especially when going down hill over big rocks where bump starting could be a problem.
BTW...I have -0- problems with mine and I ride my bike hard, still have stock clutch plates and the gasket it came with. I did not buy the cover, but I do have the perch override. The key to keeping your clutch in shape is riding your bike in the power band, it's not like an automatic transmission.
Also, I've been using Delo 400 15-40 wt oil sense I installed it as recommended by Rekluse. Can't wait to put one in the 06 zy450 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.