XR650R Regulator/rectifier Question

2 replies to this topic
  • Haggis

Posted January 21, 2006 - 02:15 PM

While giving my bike a check over i noticed that one of the wires to the condenser was broken. Its a euro bike with a regulator/rectifier/condenser behind the headlamp. I unplugged the whole thing and the bike fires up and runs fine.

I have removed all the lights as the bike is mainly used as a track bike in supermoto form.

Other question is that the alloy finned block on top of the airbox is also a regulator? This was also disconnected and must have been for some time.

can anyone tell me what they do and will it be ok to run the bike without them plugged in?

I am sure I saw a website saying the under seat one could be removed.

many thanks
Haggis

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggleXR650

Posted January 21, 2006 - 02:27 PM

Hey,
The Euro bikes have a voltage regulator for the headlight (AC voltage), and a regulator/rectifier (regulates and converts AC from stator to DC) for the taillight/brakelight/turnsignals etc... You guys have two separate lighting coils. It sounds the the one under the seat is the DC reg/rec and the AC regulator is up at your headlight.

If you aren't using any of your lights, then you don't need either. However, without them, your voltage from your stator will not be regulated (capped off at ~13VDC or VAC depending). If the voltage gets too high, your bulbs will simply blow from the excessive voltage. No harm to the bike or it's ignition system, or how the bike runs, just blown bulbs.

• Haggis

Posted January 21, 2006 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for that. As I said the bike has no bulbs at all so it won't be an issue. Off they come then.

cheers
Haggis

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.