Want 2nd set of wheels 4 my xr650L??????

23 replies to this topic
  • radvocaat

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:43 PM

I've been thinking of getting a second set of wheels for my xrl, to make the road rides nicer and cheaper on tires and to be sure I have good knobs ready for the dirt, all without changing tires, just wheels!! Does anyone know a good source for used wheels? Or what other makes or models would fit for a straight swap. I've got the two sets of sprockets already, and lots of tires i'd enjoy wasting away on the road if I knew I could just swap out wheels! Im looking for wheels and rotor, front and back. Oh ya, anyone know, if a '91-xr600(ad says 91-xr650, but must be a xr600, or different year 650, which would be ok) front wheel will fit my '01 XR650L?? Im thinking it will!

Thanks

• dukeryder

Posted March 04, 2006 - 10:31 PM

Does anybody know??? I'm looking for a dirt set up right now, and L wheels are friggin' expensive, but I've found plenty of XR600 wheels, and CR wheels cheaper.

• dukeryder

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I guess Nobody knows????

• cleonard

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:25 PM

For the rear you will need a 650L wheel for sure. Don't know about the front, but the Honda part numbers for the entire assembly are different.

• sgifford

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Watch ebay. I got a second set there. They weren't cheap, but they were substantially less than buying the wheel assembly new.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 02:00 PM

You better be ready to pay $700+, ive been watching them on ebay and they do not go cheap!!

• Baja Rudy

Posted March 08, 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have a NEW set of factory XR650R, 2006 wheels. not sure if they fit the "L"...these are new but do not include sprocket or disk brakes (front or rear). they come with the original tires and tubes including spacers. I'm asking $900 obo plus shipping.

they where removed from the new bike only to install black excel wheel sets with black talon hubs.

• dukeryder

Posted March 08, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Damn, $700 is a lot of $ for some used wheels, especially since you can buy some of the early Ls for $1500. I found a rear Talon Hub for $130, lacing up an Ecel Wheel to that should be <$300. I'll just keep an eye out for a front wheel or Hub. Too bad there's nothing compatable.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have a NEW set of factory XR650R, 2006 wheels. not sure if they fit the "L"...these are new but do not include sprocket or disk brakes (front or rear). they come with the original tires and tubes including spacers. I'm asking $900 obo plus shipping.

they where removed from the new bike only to install black excel wheel sets with black talon hubs.

They will NOT fit the L. 900 for a new set is a good deal, im sure you wont have trouble sellin em for that.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 03:37 PM

Damn, $700 is a lot of $ for some used wheels, especially since you can buy some of the early Ls for $1500. I found a rear Talon Hub for $130, lacing up an Ecel Wheel to that should be <$300. I'll just keep an eye out for a front wheel or Hub. Too bad there's nothing compatable.

I know, I was adding things up and I think I would get more parting my bike out than just selling it:

Wheels:700
Engine: 600
Titled frame: 500
Pipe:200
Bars and controlls: 75
Front forks: 200
Plastics: 75
Rear swing arm and rear suspension: 150
Seat:40
headlight: 25
Tail light:10
Calipers and lines: 100
Tanks: 150
Carb: 50
All other parts: 200

Total: 3070

Even if im 33% over on my prices and I only get 2000, im still breaking even.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomonte

Posted March 09, 2006 - 02:13 PM

The front hub of an 650r is different than that of an "L"due to the size of the bolt circle,it uses a smaller disk.Dont know about the axle tou :thumbsup: gh.

• dukeryder

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:50 PM

What about the XR600R? What's different? Can XR600 wheels be used on the L??? I know alot of the stuff is similar.

What needs to be done to make them work???

• TREADMARKS

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:43 AM

I just removed my factory wheels and installed USD front forks and black excells on gold talons for the SM Conversion on my 01XR650L.

I was planning to clean them up (and all my other spare parts) and put them on ebay this weekend.

Rims are true with no damage, bike is used for highway only. Almost new Avon Distanzias and new tubes, (3000 miles ago) Front includes speedo drive, spacers and rotor. Rear includes sprocket, spacers and rotor. Both wheels are balanced with dyna beads (one ounce in front and two ounces in rear). Will sell as package for 750 + Shipping. Location is Miami.

• dukeryder

Posted March 16, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I got a front wheel for $125 for my L, looks like the Rear is compatable with the XR600, anybody got a rear from a 600 they wanna sell????\

XR600 wheels seem to be much cheaper than L wheels. L wheels are like Gold or something. $750 for stock Dirtbike wheels is cookoo if you ask me. I mean Excles with Talon Hubs sell for that much or less. A set of XR600 Excels on Talons sold for $400 on eBay last week.

• dukeryder

Posted March 23, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Yup $125 for the Front wheel XR650L, and $255 for a rear XR650L wheel. Front came with an Axle, and rotor, and the rear has a sprocket and rotor too.

The front was from a low mileage 1995, and the rear off of a 2001. $375 total plus shipping ($60)

$750 , keep lookin fellas and don't get ripped off.

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:27 AM

Hey, I'm looking for an XR600 rear wheel for my disc conversion. Anybody got one for a decent price? Dukeryder, where did you source yours at(I know they were used and probably word of mouth), but maybe I could use the same method to locate used wheels. Thanks.

I agree, these guys are absurd for what they are asking for wheels. I'd just build a new set of talons/excels at that price. My XR only cost me $1000!

Hey, anybody interested in a 1988 XR600 frame that has a California plate?

• dukeryder

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Hey, I'm looking for an XR600 rear wheel for my disc conversion. Anybody got one for a decent price? Dukeryder, where did you source yours at(I know they were used and probably word of mouth), but maybe I could use the same method to locate used wheels. Thanks.

I agree, these guys are absurd for what they are asking for wheels. I'd just build a new set of talons/excels at that price. My XR only cost me $1000!

Hey, anybody interested in a 1988 XR600 frame that has a California plate?

I actually got them on eBay, you gotta do an assload of searches, but with a little luck you'll find some. My front was listed as an XR650 wheel in the auction title, but was for an L. And the rear was listed kinda funny a couple weeks later. A set that was listed XR650L in the title sold for over $600 just a couple days ago($325 for the rear, ~$300 for the front).

I wish I could've found some local, but NOBODY here rides big bore XRs, Ls or Rs! I've seen 1 DR dual sport and all the other Dualsports around here are KLRs (and 1 guy has 3 KTM Advs). I've never seen an XRR or L at either one of the Honda Dealers here either.

My alternative was going to build Excels with Talons, I found a new L talon Front hub for $100, and the Rims aren't too expensive, it can easily be done for less than a grand

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 24, 2006 - 03:14 PM

Thanks dukeryder, that's what I'm doing. I wish I could have gotten the pair of XR wheels with excels and talon hubs that just sold last week for around $350/pair. That was a deal. I screwed up and missed the auction end. DOOHHH!!! If you see a good deal on an rear talon hub for an XR please pass it on if you don't need it. Oh, could you PM on the front talon? Thanks again and happy riding.

• BOLT Performance

Posted March 30, 2006 - 05:03 AM

What about the XR600R? What's different? Can XR600 wheels be used on the L??? I know alot of the stuff is similar.

What needs to be done to make them work???

I swap my 93 XR650L rear wheel with my 96 XR600R all the time... don't even change the disc or sprocket.

• BOLT Performance

Posted April 05, 2006 - 05:20 AM

Just pulled a rear wheel off ebay for $180 complete with disc... Be patient boys... $700 to $900 for a pair of wheels better include a new driveway at my house... LOL

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.