front fork air pressure????

5 replies to this topic
  • xr-jorger

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:24 PM

is the air valve on top of the front forks on a 98 xr600 just to bleed off pressure, or should it be filled to a certain pressure? also the front end tends to botttom out on a long section of whoops, its set up fo 220lbs, is this a sign of bad forks, low air(if required), or need of new oil.....or should i just loose weight (since Im at that 220lbs limit :thumbsup: ) thanks all

• AzMtnThumper

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:23 PM

They are to bleed off pressure. Put your bike on a stand so the front tire is off the ground first. :thumbsup: If you are bottoming prematurely investigate the oil level and/or viscosity (since you mentioned the bike is set up (sprung) for your weight).

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Tighten the compression 2 clicks and try it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nate992v

Posted January 21, 2006 - 08:05 AM

According to the owner's manual, they can have up to 15psi of pressure in them. They adjustment procedure in there.

• dukeryder

Posted January 21, 2006 - 10:04 PM

I know on the L model it says 6 PSI max, and just use a Bike Pump to pump 'em up.

• bigboredbiker

Posted January 22, 2006 - 03:49 AM

As far as I know, with the front wheel off the floor and the forks at full extension, the standard air pressure is 0psi. You can pump a bit more in to stiffen them up, but don't over pressure them...I would agree on 6 or 7 psi, 10 at absolute max if you want to the front forks to feel like they're seized. Don't forget that the stiffer the forks, the more bashing the rims/spokes and bearings have to take...don't blow your seals either!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.