new supermoto rims! need advice?

8 replies to this topic

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Just got my supermoto rims yesterday! there gold talon hubs with morad spokes& polished rims and dunlop 208 tires,ready to bolt on minus rotors and sprocket which brings me to my question. what is the smallest rear sprocket i can run without mods? i rode it today and its way to slow on the street even with the 15 tooth front sprocket. my bike is still a dirt bike but when i want to ride any distance on the road i don't want to cook my dirt tires so i want a fast change. i am going to run stock disks if any body has disks and a sprocket they want to sell let me know! :thumbsup:

• Haggis

Posted January 21, 2006 - 02:06 PM

I started with 14/39 and found that was great for 100mph+ cruising so changed and now run 15/42 or 14/42 depending on where I go or which track I am on.

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 21, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Most common is 15/41 range, but you will have to shorten your chain I believe. I'm currently running 16/44 (which requires a custom homemade 16T case saver). This is a very similar ratio to 15/41 but will work (just barely) with the stock 110 link chain. This makes it nice if you plan to swap back and forth between SM and offroad. If you will stay in SM mode, then just shorten your chain.

• babbs

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:14 AM

Where did you get the wheels and tires, and how much did they cost. I have been thinking about doin the swap myself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:15 AM

I bought my rims from a local bike shop they were already on a motard bike for about 500kms. there in mint condition and i paid $1250cdn for the set thats about $1100us. I was told they cost about $1700 a wheel to build.

• dukeryder

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Red; I think you overpaid, unless they're Marchesi wheels. You can get Brand New EXCELS w/ Talon Hubs for about $900 US and usually for $1500 or so you can get everything you need for the SM conversion (Wheels/Hubs, Tires, Brake Rotor, Caliper Relocater etc). Motostrano, ChampionsOnline etc. sell 'em and some eBay outfits. If your bike is an L model you can just get the rims and lace em up to some stock hubs for like $500.

• supaflyryan

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:18 PM

He got a good deal because it includes tires/tubes.

I paid $1050 shipped for my wheels and then another ~$300 for tires and tubes.

Posted January 25, 2006 - 03:33 PM

These are not cheap knockoffs the rims are from Spain and the hubs from england they are race spec. i can also buy them new for about $1300cdn but the guys that race them said there a waste of time unless your just after bling factor. talon even makes some cheap hubs that are adaptable to other bikes, but these are XR650R specific and apparently unbreakable.

• Haggis

Posted January 25, 2006 - 11:50 PM

You are spot on there. I reckon that apart from the logo on the rim there's not much between the Excel of Morad rims in the real world. Apart from one costing lots more than the other. Over here a set of Talon/Excel wheels will set you back anything from £750 to £900. Thats about $1300 - $1700 USD

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.