Axle Bolt!

10 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:23 PM

:thumbsup: The f@#$%@# axle bolt will not come off :eek: :p :thumbsup:

There is something stopping it from coming out.

When I pull on it with pliers it hits something and stops it.

What should I do, I've tried WD-40 and tapping it and nothing works. :bonk:

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:55 PM

Front or rear?

Chain tensioning bolts putting pressure on axle blocks?

• TallBoysWRF

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:59 PM

I'm going to guess that your axle has rusted into one or more of the bearings or the spacer between the bearings. If you don't lube the axle when you assemble the bike this will happen. I had to beat my rear axle out because my assembly lube I put on it last time I took the wheel off dried out and allowed the axle to get a little rust on it. That rust makes getting the axle a :thumbsup: to get out. I had to use a brass punch to drive the axle through the wheel to get it out.

• kevin1209

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:35 PM

I'm going to guess that your axle has rusted into one or more of the bearings or the spacer between the bearings. If you don't lube the axle when you assemble the bike this will happen. I had to beat my rear axle out because my assembly lube I put on it last time I took the wheel off dried out and allowed the axle to get a little rust on it. That rust makes getting the axle a :thumbsup: to get out. I had to use a brass punch to drive the axle through the wheel to get it out.

Same thing happened to me. When this occurs, you cannot use the word "tap". You need to drive it out with a hammer and a punch. If you don't have a punch, get creative. I had to use a breaker bar as my punch to get mine out. :thumbsup: Always use the right tool for the right job, unless you don't have the tool. Then you can use whatever the :bonk: will get the job done right away.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:24 PM

Then you can use whatever the will get the job done right away.

I love it. We think very much alike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcusmoberg

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:49 PM

Front or rear?

Chain tensioning bolts putting pressure on axle blocks?

It's the rear of the bike.

It hits something that stops it from going any farther.

• ARin

Posted January 21, 2006 - 12:43 AM

if the bike is laying on its side...then the bolt is hitting...

the ground.

BAHAHAHA

just kidding...nevermind.

• marcusmoberg

Posted January 21, 2006 - 08:12 PM

I finally got the mother fu**er axle bolt out! :thumbsup:

It took me an hour of hitting it! :bonk:

I messed up the threads on it so I'll have to bring it to a shop and get the threads worked on! :thumbsup:

I had to get a knife and cut the tire and tube out from the rim and I still didn't get all of the tire off totally off! :eek:

There is still a strip of rubber glued to the rim that I'll have to get off :p someday! :worthy:

This is a lot harder than I thought it will be! :cool:

Any kind of maintenance on this dirtbike is a pain in the ass! :prof:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted January 21, 2006 - 10:06 PM

First of all, why did you cut the tire off the rim instead of just taking it off the normal way by breaking the bead and levering it off? :thumbsup: And second of all do you realize that that rubber strip that goes around the rim is SUPPOSED to be there to keep the spoke nipples from puncturing the tube!!? :thumbsup:

Maintenance is not that bad just as long as you know what you are doing. :eek: Oh now that you beat the heck out of the rear wheel, you should be sure to check the wheel bearings. This is a good time to do it anyway, but with all that beating you did (had to do) they have probably been in there a while and I would bet that you finnished them off when you pounded the axle out (put little flat spots on the balls in the bearings). :bonk:

• marcusmoberg

Posted January 21, 2006 - 10:57 PM

First of all, why did you cut the tire off the rim instead of just taking it off the normal way by breaking the bead and levering it off? :thumbsup: And second of all do you realize that that rubber strip that goes around the rim is SUPPOSED to be there to keep the spoke nipples from puncturing the tube!!? :worthy:

Maintenance is not that bad just as long as you know what you are doing. :lol: Oh now that you beat the heck out of the rear wheel, you should be sure to check the wheel bearings. This is a good time to do it anyway, but with all that beating you did (had to do) they have probably been in there a while and I would bet that you finnished them off when you pounded the axle out (put little flat spots on the balls in the bearings). :p

It would not come off the stupid normal way DUH! :bonk:

I did not cut that rubber strip at all, I know it's supposed to go there DUH! :cool:

The actual tire is f***ing GLUED to the f***ing RIM and it won't break free!

So now I have to order new fu**ing wheel bearings? :thumbsup: :prof:

This is just craziness!

Getting that axle bolt off was a pain in the fu***ing ass! :eek:

Now I got to worry about putting all the fu***ing parts back together right!

• kevin1209

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:35 AM

You really aren't a big fan of working on this thing, are you? :bonk: :thumbsup: Maybe you should sell it and get a mountain bike. There's a lot less maintenance on those. :eek: :p Seriously, have the rim looked at to make sure you haven't done any damage, and change those wheel bearings. Like it was said above, you probably wore flat spots in them. Try some patience. If that doesn't work, be prepared for whatever damage happens. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.