Uh no! BIG oil leak.

6 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted January 20, 2006 - 02:39 PM

There is a big oil leak on my '03. The circle of oil that has leaked out is about 6 inches in diamter. It is leaking on the left side of the motor at the bottom. It is kinda weird, because there is oil all around the front sprocket and on the chain. But the most oil is around where the shifter goes into the motor. There is oil from 1 inch in front of the front sprocket to the very back of the motor. There is also oil just below the clutch cable. Is this just a o-ring around the shifter gone bad is or is it worse? Am I looking at a major repair?

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:55 PM

There are 3 possibilities. 1, the shifter shaft seal. 2a, the countershaft seal, 2b, the countershaft collar O-ring.

First, clean everything up and see if it continues to leak while it's sitting. If so, it is almost certainly the shifter seal, which is replaceable by removing only the lever.

If it does not leak while sitting, it's probably the counter, or output, shaft seal and/or the O-ring on the shaft. Go to the Yamaha Parts Catalog (if you see the "My Yamaha" page, click "proceed to catalog"), put in Motorcycle, 2003, & YZ450. When the fiche loads go to the transmission page. Look at #21, 22, & 23 in the illustration. 21 is the seal, 22 is the collar on which the seal lip runs, and 23 is the O-ring that seals the collar to the shaft. These can all be replaced from the outside with the front sprocket removed. The collar may not be needed, but if it is grooved, replace it.

• kawirider

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 3rdcoast

Posted May 05, 2006 - 03:36 AM

that's it exactly. How do i get the counter shaft seal out to replace?

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Pry the seal out with a screwdriver, carefully. It may help to pull the collar the seal rides on off of the counter shaft, too, and to do that you may have to turn it as you pull outward. Inspect the collar and replace it if it has a pronounced groove worn into it by the seal. There is an o-ring under the collar that seals between the shaft and collar that should be replaced as well.

• smithjt

Posted March 16, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Thanks, I just noticed this same problem on my 05 yz450. :)

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:23 PM

Oh god countershaft seals, if you do replace it yourself, make sure you buy at least 2 of them. They are difficult to seat properly, and if you do it wrong it will leak when you run the bike again. When removing the old seal, be extremely careful if using a screwdriver, I managed to score the case wall a tiny bit and had to sand it down and that was not easy. When seating the new seal, use a piece of PVC pipe and lightly tap it with a mallet until it is "proud". Not fully tapped in, or it will leak! I had so much fun learning this!:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.