Gearing on a 06' 450 vs. 01' 426

2 replies to this topic
  • c-man

Posted January 20, 2006 - 02:18 PM

I currently have an immaculate 01' 426F after previously owning a 99' 400F. I have nothing but good to say about either bike. Plenty of ponies, bulletproof, just put gas in it, do the usual maintenance,and ride. I have been reluctant to buy a 450 in previous years as I definately wanted to stay with blue, but also knew I did not want a 4-speed as I do ride some tight trails out here in the Black Hills of SD and the high 1st gear of the 03'-05' yamaha's would not be ideal. My question is, how does 1st gear on the 06's compare with the 426's......and, how about 5th gear as I do end up covering some miles straight down the road and it isn't fun if a bike is really low geared. I think I actually read that the top speed on the 06' is a little faster than previous years???............

I'd appreciate any input you boys have,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Except for low gear, the '06 5 speed is gear for gear the exact same transmission ratios that were in the YZ426.

Low gear on the 426 was 1.846, and the '06 is lower actually. It's the same 1.929 that the 450 4 speed was. The primary ratio is higher in the '06, but if you fool with the chain and sprockets, you can come up with pretty much the same thing as you had with your 426, but with a slightly lower first.

• velosapiens

Posted January 27, 2006 - 02:20 PM

so, what kind of speed range do you get out of the 06 gearing? is it capable of 70-80 mph with the close ratio tranny? i'm kinda tossing around the idea of a yz450f as a dezert/enduro race bike because of the top-notch suspension and light weight, but i'm concerned about the gearing, and about the noise level. i like close ration trannys like the one in my 250sx except for the limitation on top speed.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.