Battery relocation 650 L

15 replies to this topic
  • Wheels up

Posted January 20, 2006 - 12:12 PM

I was wondering if anyone could chime in with what it takes to move the battery to the airbox region???

MGS???

• mgs781

Posted January 20, 2006 - 01:04 PM

I am thru giving all my secrets away!

I will give you a hint, its not in the airbox and its not the stock battery.

PM me for more.

MGS

• supaflyryan

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:09 PM

I built a mounting bracket and moved my whole electrical box underneath the rear fender/seat while keeping the airbox whole. I have 17's however, with stiffer suspension, so I don't rub my tire on the box at all. I doubt it would work on a 18" rear wheel with full travel.

After my new carb arrives any day now, I'm going to put a cone filter on it and move everything to the airbox so it's easier to get to. But like I said, I don't have to worry about dirt/water/mud getting everywhere because it's a street bike now.

• zrxchris

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:39 PM

pics ?

• roadcam

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:41 PM

I am thru giving all my secrets away!

I will give you a hint, its not in the airbox and its not the stock battery.

PM me for more.

MGS

the purpose of Forums like this are to be of HELP to others, not keep 'secrets' ...
:thumbsup:

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, come on and give it up. :thumbsup:

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:50 PM

He could tell us. We want tell any body. :thumbsup:

• osbofam

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:26 PM

I spent alot of hours trying everything I could do to rid my L of the side battery. I found some photos of the 1st XR650L, the one the prototype Honda built. It had a NX650 engine and a XR600R frame. The battery was in the airbox. Very similar to the KTM640 LC4 Hard Enduro. Why in the hell they didnt develop that further??? I 1st made a battery box, placed it high up under the fender. Boy it looked great with that XR600R left side panel.
Worked great until I bottomed the rear tire hard into the box and shorted out the battery, causing a short that burned the ground cable. The cable actually caught fire! I never found an in air bog design that I thought would work, so I then mounted the battery in the rear fender tool kit. I bought the Moose replacement bag( just alittle bigger, but looks like factory). I had welded the frame about 1 yeat earlier in the weak subframe area. So I bought a SeaDoo battery tray and mounted it in the Moose bag. Most folks never realized the battery was in there. Oh, the battery was alittle smaller than stock, but same power rating. I think it was for a 600cc sport bike. I thought this would be a temp. location only. I end up keeping it there for years. No problem, No weight or clearance issues.
I would like to see someone's battery box design too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mgs781

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:30 PM

the purpose of Forums like this are to be of HELP to others, not keep 'secrets' ...
:thumbsup:

No one helped me.

Somethings are better if you figure them out for yourselves. :thumbsup:

And I did help, I gave two hints and offered more thru PMs. :bonk:

So whats your point?

MGS

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Why do you want to move the battery?

• supaflyryan

Posted January 21, 2006 - 01:37 AM

To get rid of that ugly hump on the left rear of the bike. After I moved my stuff I cut my side panels down and it looks tons better. See pics in My Garage.

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 21, 2006 - 03:54 AM

No one helped me.

Somethings are better if you figure them out for yourselves. :thumbsup:

And I did help, I gave two hints and offered more thru PMs. :bonk:

So whats your point?

MGS

This is too funny. I myself was just joking around. When you said that no one has helped you. Thats a pretty BOLD statement. I'm sure you weren't born with your modification knowledge, someone must have helped you down the line LOL, but I could be wrong. Good looking bike you have there, take care and God bless. :thumbsup:

• mgs781

Posted January 21, 2006 - 04:27 AM

This is too funny. I myself was just joking around. When you said that no one has helped you. Thats a pretty BOLD statement. I'm sure you weren't born with your modification knowledge, someone must have helped you down the line LOL, but I could be wrong. Good looking bike you have there, take care and God bless. :thumbsup:

God bless what?

If you can't take the time to write me PM, then in my opinion you don't want the help.

And yes, I was born to modify, everything I have ever owned. I have developed my modification knowledge by looking at what people have done mostly in other countries, bikes, motorcycles, cars.... They posted pix of their stuff, just as I have posted pix of mine. I looked at it and figured out how they did it. I did PM a guy in Israel once to ask about mounting the Aloop kit to the L but thats about it. In the end I did it differently then him anyway.

The battery I am using is a CRF230 unit. I spent months looking for a battery that would fit under the seat between the frame rails. Most online battery stores only reference batteries by make and model of bike, hardly ever by size and CCA. I finally found one and it works great.

See, now the secret is out. I hope your happy! :bonk:

MGS

• Wheels up

Posted January 21, 2006 - 06:40 AM

Jeeeez guys lets all take a deep breath. Whoooah. Calm your hormones. Ok

Thanks for the info MGS781. I have the bike all apart and I think i have found the ultimate battery and spot for this procedure. I will document with pics and build process when it's done. Then we can all have a cleaner look.

• roadcam

Posted January 21, 2006 - 08:03 AM

next time anyone is looking for a particular sized battery, check out the listings in any JC Whitney catalog ... it gives the physical dimensions for each battery .. :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 21, 2006 - 07:10 PM

why dont ya relocate the battery insde the seat? as long as its a small battery, it wouldnt really affect the padding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.