Tip for pickin' her up (the bike, that is)

18 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Today I'm riding thru the woods and forget the rule of "when in doubt, give it gas". Over she (XR650L) goes on her left side after coming to a stop over a rut. No damage except slightly bent shifter. No problem. Went to pick her up. Bars are turned to the left somewhat. As she went up halfway and weight started to land on the front wheel, the front wheel rotated, allowing the bike to slide away from me, making me drop her. Tried again and again, each time same thing. D*mn, I'm not too weak, but that thing was getting almost too heavy to lift after the fifth attempt. Of course, the gas is drizzling out of the tank during this whole thing to add some fun to the event. I then turned the handlebars to the *right* as far as I could, and it was 30% easier to pick up by the bars because the front wheel didn't rotate and make the front of the bike act like it was on a :thumbsup: skateboard.

Sooo... here's the tip. If it goes over on the left, turn the bars to the right before picking up by the bars. If it goes over on the right, turn the bars to the left before picking up by the bars. It's a *whole* lot easier.

Any other "pick-up" tips out there?

• bumblebee

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:39 PM

try the front brake!!!!!!!!!! and when you fall, try not to let go of the bars if its muddy

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 19, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Don't fall... :thumbsup:

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 19, 2006 - 10:09 PM

It usually helps to kill the engine, and keep the 650L in 1st gear, if you can reach the shifter. I lift mine by using the handlebars as leverage.

I try to stay calm and not try to pick it up too quickly. I try to conserve energy, turn off the fuel petcock, remove my helmet and breathe... Even when it is freezing out, picking up that big fat pig can overheat even the skinniest of toothpicks. :bonk:

And as Thumpmeister says: Don't fall... :thumbsup:

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:33 AM

God, I felt so stupid last night. I thought about the front brake, but I didn't have the strength to lift it up with my left arm only while holding the front brake lever. The rut I was over made it hard to get leverage.

So am I weak? Could you just lean over and pick 'er up really easy over a rut? Maybe I have to get back into lifting... :thumbsup:

• Wheels up

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:00 AM

So am I weak?

YES :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Hey,
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. However, as a long term dirt biker, I have a rule. If you can't pick the bike up you shouldn't be riding it, especially off road by yourself. I don't mean to be an ass here either, but either make sure and take a friend or start working out. Sorry to be harsh, but it's for your own well being.

• motomonte

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:05 AM

C.B.F. whatever you do don't ever try to lift it using a branch a stick or a piece of pipe (or anything to get leverage) since you could end with a bent gas tank.just grab a handelbar with one hand and put the other one just above the passenger pegs then as you lift it put one knee mid-bike and use it to push and get a rest...

• HawkGT

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:22 AM

A tip I learned when picking up a heavy streetbike (like a Harley or a 650L :thumbsup: ) is to turn your back to the bike, bent at the knees, grab the bike with your hands and stand up. That way you're mostly using the power of your legs (strong) instead of your back and arms (weaker).

Don't know if that technique would usefully translate into an off-road situation but it might be worth a try if you're stuck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DigDug

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:21 AM

A tip I learned when picking up a heavy streetbike (like a Harley or a 650L :bonk: ) is to turn your back to the bike, bent at the knees, grab the bike with your hands and stand up. That way you're mostly using the power of your legs (strong) instead of your back and arms (weaker).

Don't know if that technique would usefully translate into an off-road situation but it might be worth a try if you're stuck.

Here's a pretty good link (not the one I was looking for, but it's pretty good nonetheless):

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

I'm usually so pissed that I fell that I yank the stupid thing back up, but there have been times where it's in a tough spot (laying downhill mostly), where I have to do the "back to the bike" method. And turning the handlebars towards the ground (ie- turn left if the bike is on the left side) seems to help pretty well. I'm not sure why, but I think that it kind of levers the bike up a few inches and lets you get under it better.

Find a grassy, smooth, level area and practice a few times. (Make sure you remove your mirrors when you do though... )

:thumbsup:

• al_piv

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Ya, but look at those legs --

Posted Image

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Usually I can pick it up OK, but there was something about the mud and the angle that made it tough yesterday. Technique is important, too. I knew a guy a few years ago that was like 6'3, 250, and strong. He dropped his streetbike and when he went to pick it up, he threw his back out and was out of work for a while. I like the idea of lifting it with the legs and not the back.

• Mike_socal

Posted January 20, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Watching the dakar recently, I noticed that's how one guy picked up his bike. He stood with his back to it and squatted it back up. I imagine those bikes are even heavier than the brp.

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:55 AM

My advice about turning the bars still stands. If it falls over on the left side, and you want to squat it up, you *can't* hold the front brake. If the bars aren't positioned correctly, it will scoot out from behind you as soon as the front wheel hits the ground.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 22, 2006 - 02:13 PM

I used to own an XR and learned quickly not to dump that thing downhill. In case you do you may think about the following:

1. Pulleys and cables attached to large boulder rolling down hill. (Hint: Use a tree with at least 3 foot diameter as these things are oinkers :bonk: )

2. Have your friend lift it up for you. (Then he will be tired and you might actually be faster than him on the trails! :thumbsup: )

3. Have your wife follow you in the truck. (Oh yeah, buy a winch too.)

4. Have an excavator handy! :thumbsup:

Best of luck next time!

• Yamiha

Posted January 22, 2006 - 02:37 PM

i know on my 200 (whicj i know is ALOT Lighter than yor alls pigs) i just put my foot on the front wheel to keep it from moving and heave it up, give it a few kicks and we are off to the races. ive been riding a 2 wheeler only since the summer, so you can imagine ive had to do this several times. i dont hardly have to anymore though :thumbsup:

• sorenlaf

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:28 AM

A tip I learned when picking up a heavy streetbike (like a Harley or a 650L :thumbsup: ) is to turn your back to the bike, bent at the knees, grab the bike with your hands and stand up. That way you're mostly using the power of your legs (strong) instead of your back and arms (weaker).

Yup.

Don't everyone get their testosterone up, but check this out.

http://www.pinkribbo...om/dropped.html

--Soren

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:14 PM

every time ive dropped my pig, i was able to pick her up by the bars with no trouble.

• Fordskin

Posted January 24, 2006 - 02:58 AM

Jesus you guys really are an pi ss weak. Just lift it and stop sooking.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.