Got My New GTR-Carbon Fiber Muffler!!!

13 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted January 19, 2006 - 07:53 PM

for my 06 WR 450F. Much lighter than stock and looks cool. Sounds better too, but when I took it for a spin, it bogged just off throttle. Didn't have this problem before and I have all the free-mods done and changed the jetting? It did seem to get better once it was warmed up, but is this normal and will it continue to do this.

Also, wanted to know if it's ok to remove the spark-arrestor insert? Will this help with performance and improve the sound more?

Pics Here:

http://www.pbase.com...49/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com...75/original.jpg

• Matty05

Posted January 19, 2006 - 07:58 PM

It bogs because you are lean. Sounds like you have to rejet again!

It is ok to remove spark arrestor, you will get a slight power gain and it will be slightly louder too.

• rich1167

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:00 PM

If the exhaust is more free flowing than what you removed you may be a little lean now. You may need to go richer a little on your jetting. If it's not that bad you may want try some different fuel screw adjustments or a little larger pilot.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have one of those. I love it. I also got the quiet cap, it tested at 98 db and tested at 100 without the quiet cap. How much did you pay for yours. I may sell mine before I sell my WR, it wont fit on my new YZ.

• twenty34

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Matty and Rich. So if it's lean (I think I'm running a 168 MJ), I would need to go higher, like a 170 or so? As for the fuel screw, would I open it up or turn it down and what is the best way to adjust the fuel screw (how do I know what to look/listen for when do this?). I assume you wait till the engine is warm?

Thanks guys!

If the exhaust is more free flowing than what you removed you may be a little lean now. You may need to go richer a little on your jetting. If it's not that bad you may want try some different fuel screw adjustments or a little larger pilot.

• twenty34

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:11 PM

got it for $359, but most places list it for $399 I believe. Sure is lighter and cool looking, eh!!! :thumbsup: I have not seen the quiet cap that you are referring to. Later.

I have one of those. I love it. I also got the quiet cap, it tested at 98 db and tested at 100 without the quiet cap. How much did you pay for yours. I may sell mine before I sell my WR, it wont fit on my new YZ.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Yeah man, they look so sweet its sick. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted January 19, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Matty and Rich. So if it's lean (I think I'm running a 168 MJ), I would need to go higher, like a 170 or so? As for the fuel screw, would I open it up or turn it down and what is the best way to adjust the fuel screw (how do I know what to look/listen for when do this?). I assume you wait till the engine is warm?

Thanks guys!

I'll PM you later on, gotta go to the dentist.........
Main jet might be right, probably just need bigger pilot and raise the needle 1 clip (move clip down 1 position).

Get an adjustable fuel screw if you don't have one, I don't know why they are not standard? :thumbsup: You need it, it makes life soooooo much easier!

• Matty05

Posted January 19, 2006 - 11:40 PM

GYT-R quiet cap:
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

It looks like it chokes it quite a bit! Good it you have to be quiet, but bad for performance.

• twenty34

Posted January 20, 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks again Mate.

I took out the Spark Arestor and now the bike sounds real good, but man it sure has a loud backfire sound now when you blip the throttle closed. Is this because I took out the Arrestor?

Also, for the fuel screw, I have an easy access aftermarket installed, but when you said it was lean, do I go counter-clockwise (closing) or clockwise (opening)? How many turns/adjustments do I make and do I just keep adjusting until the backfire goes away or is that due to the lack of a Spark Arrestor.

Thanks for any advice!

GYT-R quiet cap:
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

It looks like it chokes it quite a bit! Good it you have to be quiet, but bad for performance.

• rich1167

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Have you removed the AIS? If not that is where your backfire is coming from. If you have removed it and are still back firing you may be lean or have an air leak in the exhaust or one of the manifolds.

• twenty34

Posted January 20, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Nope, have not removed the AIS. I did all the free mods with great success. I had it on order, but it was back-ordered and after I performed the free mods myself, it was was running great so I cancelled my AIS removal kit.

I tried turning in the fuel screw and it seemed to help some with the backfiring. I guess the removal kit needs to be considered now. Love the new muffler. Sounds awesome, like a real bike and seems to pull much better from low to mid to top end very smoothly, but with gusto.

Do I need to order the AIS kit, or can't I just do it myself?

Have you removed the AIS? If not that is where your backfire is coming from. If you have removed it and are still back firing you may be lean or have an air leak in the exhaust or one of the manifolds.

• rich1167

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:49 PM

You can do it your self. But the kit looks a lot better. Their are 3 hoses going to the smog pump. If you just get some plugs and hose clamps you can plug them off. Then wire ty them out of the way.Try an auto store for what you need. For the long haul I would get the kit. Looks way better.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:16 PM

It doesnt hinder performance near as much as you might think. I have been very impressed with it. It is much better than my buddies quiet cap in his WB E2

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.