wheel swap with YZ / YZF??

11 replies to this topic
  • wedrivezs

Posted January 19, 2006 - 04:30 PM

I'm wanting a extra set of supermoto wheels.....

I've got a package lined up for $730.00 to my door for excel wheels (silver) custom spokes, and a front brake (320mm) kit. I need an extra set of wheels to tear apart for the hubs.....do the YZ / YZF wheels fit a '04 wr450?

Also, does that sound like a good deal? I still have to lace and true them up, but that's the easy part :thumbsup:

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:11 PM

The front hub from a YZ is different than the WR, but the rears are the same. The WR hub has the pic up for the odometer.
If that is without hubs it sounds a little steep to me.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:52 AM

ok, I'll sum it up for you. Any YZ hub, 125, 250 250F 400 426 450, 1999-2004 will work. The only thing you will run into is that the rotor sizes changed a couple times on both front and back rotors. This will cause the caliper to either foul or not contact enough of the rotor. No problem, if you use the correct rotor. On the rear rim, 125's and 250's use a 1.85" rim rather than the 2.15" found on YZ 250's and 400 426 450's. On the WR series, the hub is also slotted to accept a speedo drive but will work on a YZ or a WR without the speedo drive with a YZ axle spacer in place. By the way I have personally tried a 2004 YZ250F front on my 1999 WR and it does fit.
fershy

Above is a quote from this thread:

http://www.thumperta...1&parentpage=13

• ncmountainman

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:38 AM

Above is a quote from this thread:

http://www.thumperta...1&parentpage=13

i've done it too,just need the yz spacers up front(actually just the right side) :thumbsup:

• CycleWriter

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:44 AM

i've done it too,just need the yz spacers up front(actually just the right side) :thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the WR speedo drive also serve as the hub seal on that side? Replacing it with the YZ spacer will leave the hub open to the elements, no? :bonk:

• SpeedBlitz

Posted January 20, 2006 - 10:09 AM

Yes, the odo drive serves as a seal on the WR front wheel hub, but if you are installing a YZ hub/wheel, it will come with a seal on the hub.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CycleWriter

Posted January 20, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Yes, the odo drive serves as a seal on the WR front wheel hub, but if you are installing a YZ hub/wheel, it will come with a seal on the hub.

I understand that. My point is that simply swapping the WR odo drive for a YZ spacer will leave the wheel bearing vulnerable. As an aside, I removed the odo from my WR in favor of a TrailTech computer and YZ number plate. If you are doing this you must plug the hole where the cable entered the drive or it will get contaminated. I also removed the plastic drive gear inside the housing to prevent unnecessary drag and wear of the odo drive unit.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 20, 2006 - 01:41 PM

ya uh, "WHEEL SWAP" with yz/wr?? i kinda meant you can't use your right side odo gear anymore and you need the yz spacer,but the stocker wr will work on the left. your right that you can't just replace the odo drive witrh a yz spacer. there are odo drive replacements available, BARNUM PRO makes one as does someone else i can't remember :thumbsup:

• CycleWriter

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:50 PM

your right that you can't just replace the odo drive witrh a yz spacer. there are odo drive replacements available, BARNUM PRO makes one as does someone else i can't remember :thumbsup:

I've been trying to get one of them odo eliminators from Barnum for almost a year. He keeps telling me he'll have some soon. I'm still waiting. :thumbsup: :bonk:

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:51 PM

I want one also but can't find it. I have a trail tech computer and want to get rid of that huge spacer.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:00 PM

checked my notes,the other one is 4 strokes only-odo replacement/block off spacer, type 4.... pn/44-0583.... $26.95
1-818-765-5616 PST or google 4 strokes only :thumbsup:

• SpeedBlitz

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:22 AM

I understand that. My point is that simply swapping the WR odo drive for a YZ spacer will leave the wheel bearing vulnerable. As an aside, I removed the odo from my WR in favor of a TrailTech computer and YZ number plate. If you are doing this you must plug the hole where the cable entered the drive or it will get contaminated. I also removed the plastic drive gear inside the housing to prevent unnecessary drag and wear of the odo drive unit.

Cycle, I misinterpreted you statement when you referred to the "wheel bearing". I assumed you were referring to the actual wheel bearing and not the odo drive bearing. My assumption was same as NCMM, that is using the YZ wheel meant completely removing the odo hardware.

BTW, thanks for posting pics of your "TTR starter/kill swicth" setup. That is exactly what I'll be doing this spring!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.