How hard is it to change the fork oil?

9 replies to this topic
  • sldietz

Posted January 19, 2006 - 02:54 PM

2001 YZ426.
I have to change out the springs and run the oil at 80-100mm.

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

• unkle_george

Posted January 19, 2006 - 04:54 PM

It's a little messy, but not too hard. I've had mine apart about 3x and I think I could do one in about an hour. I bought a cheap 17mm and took it to the bench grinder to get it thin enough to get between the spring and the top to get the cap off.
You can put Mobil 1 ATF back in. It's about 7.5 weight and is alot cheaper.
Also, I used the pump out of a windex bottle to get the oil height right.

- Ryan

• yamajoe

Posted January 19, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Get the right tools (listed in the manual) and just follow the manual like it says and to an untrained person it would take a few hours, less the next time etc...

• sldietz

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:29 PM

The $180 for labor the dealer wants is looking not so bad.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:30 PM

You don't nee a thin 17mm. Just pull the spring down a little and use a normal one. Depending on what all is on your bike, you should be able to crank it out in a hour after the first time or two. It doesn't take me quite that long even with the sub tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jerryls

Posted January 19, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Buy one of those 5 gallon plastic buckets at Home Depot for draining. Helps minimize the mess. The procedure isn't terribly hard, just messy if you aren't prepared.

• unkle_george

Posted January 19, 2006 - 08:54 PM

The $180 for labor the dealer wants is looking not so bad.

Nah .... You can have it done in the time it takes to drive to the dealer and back twice.

• Raven1911

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:50 AM

Aren't there special tools that are needed or can you do it with normal everyday tools?

• madday

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Save your money and listen to these guys. Its not difficult.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Aren't there special tools that are needed ...?

To change the oil, springs, and/or seals? No. Only if you want to remove the base valves and dampers, which is not necessary for these procedures.

If the forks have been together for a while without a cleaning or an oil change, there could be a build up of sediment around the valve that would be better to clean out, but if you change the oil once or twice a season, there won't be much there, and quite a bit of it can be pumped out with a little clean oil before you refill.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.