Has anyone put an XR400 oil cooler on their 650L?

10 replies to this topic
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted January 19, 2006 - 10:35 AM

I have seen the kits, like from Summers Racing Components, and after running a search here, I received a few hits about people who where thinking about it, but nothing about people who had done it.

Anywho, these are the questions i had if anyone has tried it:

1. Did it mount up OK? or where there a lot of problems?
2. What did it cost in total?
3. How much oil capacity was added?
4. How much did the dipstick oil temp change after the install?
5. Was it really worth the $ & time spent to do it?
6. Would you do it again? why/why not?

I am curious as I will likely be doing some extended trips, which may include a lot of lower speed runs that would tend to increase heat.

Any thoughts on the matter?

(and NO, i am not buying a different bike, so don't suggest it, i like this one just fine TYVM :bonk: :thumbsup: )

• Wheels up

Posted January 19, 2006 - 11:22 AM

https://secure.srcin...661&StartRow=11

This is for the Xr 650 L

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted January 19, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Thank you wheelsup, but as mentioned i have seen the kits. I was more interested in anyone's hands-on experiences with one. The kits can be purchased for around $370 if you dont buy direct from SRC.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 19, 2006 - 12:11 PM

https://secure.srcin...661&StartRow=11

This is for the Xr 650 L

Over $400? Zoiks... :thumbsup:

I could make one for ~$100.

Even using Service Honda's parts, it'd be under $150 with all the lines/fittings, etc.

http://www.serviceho...getprice=Submit

• nate992v

Posted January 19, 2006 - 12:57 PM

The SRC kit came with everything. The most time-consuming part was removing the upper and lower triple clamps, handlebars, and forks. The only problem I encountered was with two of the screws provided. They were too short to use the supplied nuts, so I drilled and tapped them and used lock-tite instead. Installing the lines, you just have to be careful and not force it into place. They're almost like an A/N fitting, and use no gasket or crushring. Any scratches or nicks and they tend to leak. I don't think that it adds any capacity, as it sits higher than the oil inlet to the frame. When the engine is off, gravity drains it back. I added the dipstick thermometer at the same time, so I don't have a comparison. Now, the temp never exceeds 260 degrees, no matter what I'm doing. It'll definately be worth it towards the end of the season, when it gets about 100 degrees.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert4seat

Posted January 19, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Is this cooler really necessary on a stock (internally) motor? I was under the impression that the design of the engine kept the motor in a safe temp range no matter what you’re doing (within reason)….

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Over $400? Zoiks... :thumbsup:

I could make one for ~$100.

Even using Service Honda's parts, it'd be under $150 with all the lines/fittings, etc.

http://www.serviceho...getprice=Submit

Yes, they ARE pricey, but mounting that cooler is a problem for me as I lost my shop access, and I have no welding access. It needs a fabricated bracket, or welded on nuts/or whatever mounting points.

I have no way to bend/break/weld/one-off anything now so I can’t fab anything up. I can CAD up the drawings no sweat, but I can’t build it. One-off costs mucho $$$$$ in a fab shop. So I was looking at the kit as a feasibility option. But as you pointed out... about $150 in parts on a $400 rig, leaves a lot of play money UN-accounted for. Maybe a few 12-packs in the right spot might hook me up.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:54 AM

Is this cooler really necessary on a stock (internally) motor? I was under the impression that the design of the engine kept the motor in a safe temp range no matter what you’re doing (within reason)….

necessary?

maybe not.

but cooler is better in the oil department, and i know i will be riding in such a way that will increase the temp. so i'm thinking every little bit would help.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:57 AM

The SRC kit came with everything. The most time-consuming part was removing the upper and lower triple clamps, handlebars, and forks. The only problem I encountered was with two of the screws provided. They were too short to use the supplied nuts, so I drilled and tapped them and used lock-tite instead. Installing the lines, you just have to be careful and not force it into place. They're almost like an A/N fitting, and use no gasket or crushring. Any scratches or nicks and they tend to leak. I don't think that it adds any capacity, as it sits higher than the oil inlet to the frame. When the engine is off, gravity drains it back. I added the dipstick thermometer at the same time, so I don't have a comparison. Now, the temp never exceeds 260 degrees, no matter what I'm doing. It'll definately be worth it towards the end of the season, when it gets about 100 degrees.

Thanks for the info! This was more what i was looking for. I assume removing the triple clamps was to drill mounting holes in the neck?

• nate992v

Posted January 20, 2006 - 08:18 AM

Correct. If you were just going to drill and tap, you could probablly get away without doing it. I would anyway, just to make sure no metal shavings get around the bearings. If you use the provided nuts, the stem has to come out.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:25 AM

An oil cooler is totally necessary if you race your 650L and you have the Acerbis 6.0 gallon gas tank!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.