bleeding brakes with syringe

9 replies to this topic
  • NoFearOakley48

Posted January 19, 2006 - 09:38 AM

when i bleed the brakes with a syringe, i know that you push the fluid from the bleeder valve up into the master cylinder but i have a ?. Do i need to drain all the fluid out first, or can i do it with the fluid already in there then insert the new fluid from the bottom and suck the fluid out of the MC when it gets full??? and do i just keep doing that until the brakes gets better???

• Rannoch

Posted January 19, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Why would you use a syringe?

Take the cover off the reservoir. Get a length of clear plastic tubing (got mine at a hardware supply store) that will fit the nipple on the brake caliper. This is to prevent bubbles. 6 inches to 1ft will do it.

Its easier with two people, but not hard by yourself. Open the drain nipple, and push the brake lever down. Before you let the brake lever out, close the nipple. Then let the brake lever out.

Note: Keep the fluid topped out or you'll suck air into the sytem. When you get clean brake fluid in your hose, you're done.

• HalfNutz

Posted January 19, 2006 - 10:51 AM

Take the cover off the reservoir. Get a length of clear plastic tubing (got mine at a hardware supply store) that will fit the nipple on the brake caliper. This is to prevent bubbles. 6 inches to 1ft will do it.

Its easier with two people, but not hard by yourself. Open the drain nipple, and push the brake lever down. Before you let the brake lever out, close the nipple. Then let the brake lever out.

Note: Keep the fluid topped out or you'll suck air into the sytem. When you get clean brake fluid in your hose, you're done.

He's asking about the syringe because it often gets air bubbles out that normal bleeding can't/won't.

I'd just drain the m/c and then start the flushing with the syringe from the caliper. I'd drain the m/c one more time to make sure I got most if not all of the old fluid out and then top off with the fresh stuff. :thumbsup:

• yater

Posted January 19, 2006 - 10:56 AM

I would drain the old stuff first. The syringe method works so well that you don't have to worry about air bubbles when you refill. Anyone who tells you to pump the lever hasn't tried backbleeding

• mark42crf

Posted January 19, 2006 - 11:12 AM

I would drain the old stuff first. The syringe method works so well that you don't have to worry about air bubbles when you refill. Anyone who tells you to pump the lever hasn't tried backbleeding

I agree. Last time I changed brake fluid I tried the back-bleeding method. Just place the tube on the nipple, open it up, and start back-bleeding with your syringe. I drained the MC first. The only problem I had was I was getting some air around the hose fitted on the nipple. I just took some stainless grip wire and twisting pliers and ran a strand of wire around the hose and nipple and tightened it up. The air leak was eliminated and bleeding was a cinch. No need to pump the brakes like the top down method. It's much easier, faster, and will be my method of choice from now on :thumbsup:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted January 19, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Mine too. Another thing to remember is to wedge a screw driver between the pad and the rotor so the piston is pushed all the way into the caliper. It will make it faster to get the air out.

• Chas_M

Posted January 19, 2006 - 01:16 PM

Back bleeding with a syringe is much better than attempting to bleed the old fashioned way from the top. Do not drain the old fluid, other than sucking out the old fluid in the reservoir with a medicine dropper, prior to back bleeding. Repeat this procedure several times.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted January 19, 2006 - 01:53 PM

what i like to do for a few of our road bikes (brakes and clutch) is to put the syringe into the length of clear plastic tubing, and suck it out, don't have to pump. i then clamp the tube with a mole grip, and put the fluid form the syringe back into the reservoir. this means it takes only one person. :thumbsup:

• joshb

Posted January 19, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I just used the syringe method and it worked EXCELLENT!

• GREAT DANE

Posted March 14, 2010 - 06:02 PM

I'm off to the garage you guys got me moto -vated!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2013 RMZ450 Burning Engine Oil by Connor Corrigan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   RM-Z 450
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

team maico! by NCSteve

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Dual sport project by joe reed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

Considering a 690 Enduro R by qbizzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   LC4 400/610/640/690/950/990
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.