Wierd question re: VIN # and non production, hand made bike.

2 replies to this topic
  • phatpigrider

Posted January 19, 2006 - 12:05 AM

Wierd question. Do your guy's bikes VIN#'s read from top to bottom, or bottom to top?

I got a VIN verification in the process of dual sporting and ultimately CA "Plating" my latest XR (www.californiadualsport.com is my web site), and in the process of getting my light cert, the cert guy thought my bike was not a production bike, but rather hand made for something or someone, as the VIN ends in 500001.

I asked the service guys at Chapparral Motorsports about the aforementioned, who thought I was high.

I didn't think anything more about it, until when I read off the VIN numbers for my insurnace chick today, I noticed that two of my bikes, ('03 Honda XR650r, "Plated" and for sale (see web site), and my crf 250 X have VINs that read from top to bottom. The 500001 VIN# read upside down, or from bottom to top. Maybe I am still high, but can you guys check and see if yours read from top to bottom? :thumbsup:
Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted January 19, 2006 - 09:19 AM

I've got three Honda motorcycles in my garage:

XR650R: bottom to top
HawkGT: top to bottom
VFR400R: top to bottom

• motopsycho650

Posted January 19, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I've got three Honda motorcycles in my garage:

XR650R: bottom to top
HawkGT: top to bottom
VFR400R: top to bottom

That goes to show Handa's quality control, or lack of. My XR650R reads from top the bottom. I love Honda's, but sometimes the things they do are puzzling.

P.S. I've never seen anything upside down after my 420's. You must have some prime dank. hehe

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.