Wave Rotors for XR 650R

While the wave pattern does have some advantages--it also has disadvantages--its not for everyone.

One thing that is for everyone is a bigger FRONT break. Regardless of your riding type--the bike is suffers from to little front break. Go bigger up front and you will gain confidence on the BRP.

I run the Motomaster 260 up front with a SS brake line and swear by it. Big difference off road. Lots more control.

I'm using the Motomaster 320mm wave rotor for my front supermoto setup. Works great. Supposedly, wave rotors cool themselves better/and clean the pads better. However, for a dirt bike, even when on the street, I don't think anybody will notice the difference. Just for looks at this level.

For offroad use, I would simply use a braided brake line on the front, and skip oversizing the front or rear. I rode my SM with the stock brakes for some time, the brakes are woefully underpowered for street use, and went through pads very quick, but they did stop me when I really wanted to stop. For offroad use, I think it would be kind of a waste.

I have a Braking oversized wave rotor on the front, and braking std. size wave rotor on the rear. The rear doesn't make any difference in braking, but my OEM disk was warped pretty bad so I figured I'd just replace it with the braking unit. As for the front, the rotor does make a large difference, but that is due to the oversize not the wave pattern. I had a very hair-raising experience with a small cliff-jump to steep downhill where the stock disk was not adequate at all. Then again, I should have been on my CRF at the time, so it really wasn't the bike's fault. Anyway, the OS disk did cure this, as well as problems from slowing at speed. I also haven't warped it yet (crossing my fingers), which I suppose could be attributed to the wave shape. However, I do go through pads far more frequently than stock, which can also be attributed to the wave shape.

Overall, I'd suggest that an OS rotor is a good investment, but not specifically the braking unit. EBC and MotoMaster make OS, non-SM rotors (Motomaster is 260mm and EBC is 280mm I think) for significantly cheaper, that will work just as well as the Braking unit. If that's still not enough, Galfer makes SS lines that also help the problem as others have mentioned.

Edit: Oh yeah, you might want ot give RockyMountainMC a call. They were blowing out Tusk OS braking disks a while back for the bike for ~$60 or so. They aren't the best quality, but they get the job done. Compared to the $150 or whatever for the EBC and Motomaster, and $280 for the Braking, it sounds even better. ?

Has anyone out there upgraded the brake rotors for the 650R? I'm thinking of installing the Braking or Galfer wave rotor on the front ond the oversize rotor on the rear and I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it offers better braking performance?

I am new to the XR650R but the first thing I noticed was the poor stopping power up front (not really that bad in the rear). I looked and the Braking unit of course because of the success of 1x and the Galfer but could never find anyone who sells the Gafer other than a Super Motard size. After doing some research I opted for the EBC oversized kit. It was $100.00 less than the Braking and now I can use one or two fingers to stop the beast. I'm happy with my choice.

I have a braking oversize/wave/floating rotor, the best thing for the money. I race and ride in Baja and will not use the stock one after using one of those.

I also have a motomaster oversize/floating...just as good.

I have a NEW braking oversize/wave/floating/pads/bracket for sale...$275 plus shipping...the price is absolutely firm.

rudy

I have a braking oversize/wave/floating rotor, the best thing for the money. I race and ride in Baja and will not use the stock one after using one of those.

I also have a used motomaster oversize/floating/bracket...just as good. 6 months old. $200 firm plus shipping

I have a NEW braking oversize/wave/floating/pads/bracket for sale...$275 plus shipping...the price is absolutely firm.

rudy

I tried to get one of those STUPID WAVE ROTORS... in stock size, and they are UN-OBTANIUM!!! Nobody had one or could get one, but everybody had it listed in there stupid catalogs! That frustratrated me to no end! I even spoke to someone at Galfer twice, and was told they don't make one. Braking doesn't either! So I am running a standard EBC, and my bike stops just fine... even on the nasty hills of the Hatfield McCoy Trails! But if your dead set on wave, I guess you have to go oversized!

I've gone with the EBC petal cut 320mm and a steel braided line on my Supermoto XR - stops fine but does get a little soft when I'm showing the guys on sportbikes the way thru the canyons.

If I were going to use it on the track, I'd go to a 4-pot caliper, though...

FJT

I got my wave rotor around one and a half years ago. Then, a bit more than a year ago, I tried to get a second from parts unlimited. It's still on backorder. I was told that Braking lost their distributorship through Motion Pro which fudged things up, but no idea if thats true. All I know is I saw a few sitting in Precision Concepts' shop, so they're getting them at least. ?

well i have gotten the galfer rear rotor for my 600, mine was wore down very bad, i tend tend to ride the rear brake with the riding i do almost all woods and harescrambles, it is .100 thicker than stock and about 30 bucks cheaper with this disc i was hoping not to get the brake fade i had ,which is scaring in the woods when going fast and then all of a sudden there is no rear brake, but i cant realy say that it is better but it has got to last alot longer than stock i only use stock honda pads,stocks seems to be the best for me, i have even put in a hi-temp brake fluid but i am not sure if it helped or not because i have still gotten brake fade with it,i am in the process of making me some finns to put on my caliper to help with cooling,has anyone else had this problem, or put fins on the caliper to help with cooling?