digital speedo

20 replies to this topic
  • snaggleXR650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 06:44 PM

Hello,
I need a digital speedo for my 650R SM and dirt setup. What would be your preference?

http://www.trailtech.net/lynx.htm $120 + $40 magnesium cover

or

http://www.serviceho...com/speedo.html $150 with cool RPM guage

• HawkGT

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I'm waiting for the TrailTech Vapor to come out. It's similar to the servicehonda unit in that it has a tach, but I believe it also incorporates an engine temp and ambient temp guage.

Posted Image

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 18, 2006 - 11:04 PM

I'm replacing my TrailTech Endurance with the Lynx. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It has all the features I want. I don't see the need for a tachometer on my dirtbike anyway.

• TimBrp

Posted January 19, 2006 - 04:16 AM

I've got two trailtechs and while I like them....ehh...I don't. Theres a huge lag in the readouts and you can't get them wet. I just saw a new add for the new CR50AFX in the latest issue of DIRTBIKE from service honda(awesome bike BTW) where it was outfitted with a new digital speedo from those guys.. Does alot more and has a tachometer too!! Give them a call before you do anything.

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:26 AM

Hello,
I need a digital speedo for my 650R SM and dirt setup. What would be your preference?

or

I was about to buy the lynx, but I kinda like the service honda unit now.

Does it use a sensor and pickup or a speedo cable. My motard rims that are on the way do not have a speedo cable. :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:39 AM

It's not clear how the Service Honda part works. They show two parts;

"ACE3700H fits all Honda CRF-X and Yamaha WR models.
ACE3700XRC fits all Honda XR 250/400/600/650 and Suzuki DRZ with speedo drive.
Other Dirt bike and ATV applications coming soon."

as you see they mention the speedo drive on the XR/DRZ version, but then it says it includes a "speed sensor," so who knows.

I'm really liking this product over the current Trailtech stuff. However, the lack of on site information is a concern to me. On the other hand, I've purchased from Service Honda before (OEM parts) and they have always been good to deal with. I do really like the RPM sensor deal for my supermoto street usage. I think I might buy it...

• TimBrp

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:51 AM

I like the service honda unit. However, I got to that site to drool over that 500AFX. OMG what a rush to ride that. Best of everything. With a flywheel weigth that bike would be tough to beat.

• Naru

Posted January 19, 2006 - 10:29 AM

I could be wrong, but I'm 95% sure the Service Honda unit is the same unit that Electrex USA (now Electrosport) sells. I saw the unit in person on Rob Barnums bike when I dropped by his shop, and I have to say that it's a VERY nice unit. It's also significantly larger than the Trailtech unit which makes for easy viewing. Click here It also has a dash that can be installed with all of the dualsport amenities (blinkers, reverse, neutral, oil and water temp, high beam, etc). I use a GPS V for my speedo, but I'm seriously considering picking up one of these. It's worth giving Rob a call as he gave me an in depth explination of the unit that really sold me on it.

On a side note, I don't want to stir the pot, but I've been less than impressed with Trailtech's Panoram in the past (I scrapped mine and replaced it with the GPS V for several reasons), and more recently I was put off by their customer service while inquiring into their new MR16 HID lights. Nothing major, but I hate when I talk to a company about a product and the person acts like they wish I had never called. Happened twice with two different people, so who knows. :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted January 19, 2006 - 11:41 AM

If you are on a honda, I'd recommend a TrailTech. If you buy a speedo that runs off the factory gear box, you'll have issues with the plastic gear stripping. Mine stripped out within the first month I owned the bike. My cousins XR600, same thing (it took him a bit longer than a month). I bought the trail tech, and also bought a speedo gearbox elimination kit from XR's Only.

Here is a tip for trail tech owners who don't like the lag. Order 3 xtra magnets and install all 4 on the front rotor 90 degrees from each other. When you program in the wheel diameter, use 1/4 of the actual diameter. That way, the sensor picks up 4 pulses for each rotation of the wheel. It will make the speedo much more responsive.

I don't use a protector for mine, I just simply used the cheasy little handle bar mount it came with, and I have never had a problem. Always remove it from the bike before you wash it, or it will mess up the saved milage.

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 19, 2006 - 12:54 PM

On a side note, I don't want to stir the pot, but I've been less than impressed with Trailtech's Panoram in the past (I scrapped mine and replaced it with the GPS V for several reasons), and more recently I was put off by their customer service while inquiring into their new MR16 HID lights. Nothing major, but I hate when I talk to a company about a product and the person acts like they wish I had never called. Happened twice with two different people, so who knows. :thumbsup:

I had to scrap my Panoram too. One day it just stopped working. No power even with a new battery. It did last for about 3 years though. So far, I've had my Endurance for about 2 years and haven't had a problem. I have never called TrailTech to speak with anyone, but I did e-mail them and got a response right away. Like you said, who knows.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motopsycho650

Posted January 19, 2006 - 04:58 PM

When I first got my trail tech, I use the mounting plate to mount it on the stock location. It vibrated too much and actually cracked the case of the computer. I gave trail tech a call, and they sent me a new computer. They told me to mount it with the handlebar mounts, and I haven't had an issue since. I thought their customer service was great.

• rmhrc630

Posted January 19, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hello,

or

snaggle I have the acewell unit (made for service Honda) and it is great.

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:42 AM

Hey, tell us more please. How does it connect to the bike stock speedo or magnet pickup? What about RPM guage? quality, speed change responsiveness, mounting hardware etc... THanks.

snaggle I have the acewell unit (made for service Honda) and it is great.

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:37 AM

I called service honda today and they said their unit uses the stock speedo cable.

He also indicated there may be a sensor upgrade available, and that he would call back with more info.

We will see!

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:48 AM

I think I'm pretty much set on the Service Honda speedo. It might be pointless for regular dirt bikes but the RPM meter would be VERY slick with my supermoto/dualsport setup.

I also suppose that if the speedo runs off the stock speedo drive, maybe it won't suffer from the slow update rate that the Trailtech speedos did?

• motopsycho650

Posted January 20, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Like I said on here. If you have a trail tech, order and extra magnet, or 3 xrta magnets. If you want to use 2, put them 180 degrees from each other on the rotor, and program the wheel diameter to 1/2 of actual.

If you want to do better, use 4 magnets 90 degrees apart. set the wheel diameter to 1/4 of actual.

You will get either 2, or 4 pulses to the sencer per rotation of the wheel. This will make it MUCH more responcive on speed changes. It is also still accurate in distance & speed.

Try it, it works!!

• TimBrp

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Like I said on here. If you have a trail tech, order and extra magnet, or 3 xrta magnets. If you want to use 2, put them 180 degrees from each other on the rotor, and program the wheel diameter to 1/2 of actual.

If you want to do better, use 4 magnets 90 degrees apart. set the wheel diameter to 1/4 of actual.

You will get either 2, or 4 pulses to the sencer per rotation of the wheel. This will make it MUCH more responcive on speed changes. It is also still accurate in distance & speed.

Try it, it works!!

That's great info to pass on. However, why bother when I can get the service honda one that attaches to the stock speedo sensor(which is the shit, IMO) The trailtech line is so fragile it's rediculous. Hell anyone wanna make me an offer on one still in the box with the nice baja designs aluminum mount, never used?

• motopsycho650

Posted January 20, 2006 - 02:27 PM

Well, apparently my bike came with a defective speedo gearbox on the front wheel. The plastic gear in mine stripped out the first month I had the bike. Instead of buying a new gearbox assembly (50 bucks), I got the trail tech.

Everyone says the trail tech is sooo fragile, and looks like it will break, but mine has been on for almost 4000 off-road miles, & it has never had any problems taking abuse. I don't even use a protective case, just the plastic handle bar mount they put in the box. I like the trail tech.

• RdrMtn

Posted February 06, 2006 - 12:51 PM

Try it, it works!!

This last weekend I put 2 magnet sensors on the rotor for better response per this post. I noticed no difference at all on my trail tech. It seems like the computer is limited on how fast it can process the data. Sure, you get better response when you are going less than 5mph, but that's it. Thought I would share my experience to save some others the hassle.

• TimBrp

Posted February 06, 2006 - 01:03 PM

Thanks JJ! I'm all about the service honda unit anyhow. Bolts up to the stock sending unit(which is a solid mount). I found the trailtech to be a fragile POS.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.