is 05 wr450 the best yet?

32 replies to this topic
  • Triumphs

Posted January 19, 2006 - 01:15 PM

I've got the 06 and have ridden the 04, you can't feel the extra weight..

That's because there is none! Perhaps the Yamaha engineering people are now reporting the weight rather then the marketing types! In fact, the 05 rework has made for a lighter "feeling" bike if not an actual lighter bike. But I sure wouldn't be rushing out to trade just yet if you are happy with the bike.

• moach1

Posted January 19, 2006 - 02:27 PM

i like my 05

• ARin

Posted January 19, 2006 - 02:41 PM

i fixed it for you... :thumbsup:

this may be very true mousemeat. im not horribly tall, but at 6', the 05 and 06 bikes feel retardedly small to me. A very cramped position in the seat, and i feel terribly low to the ground on it...a very un-nerving feeling for me.

That being said, you would be hard pressed to find a WR of ANY year or displacement that is a "bad" bike. They are all excellent bikes, with strong engines, and good geometry.

I have serious reservations however, about the innevitable switch to aluminum frames. Im afraid the temptation to be "cutting edge" just may ruin what i consider to be the finest off-road bike out there.

• Matty05

Posted January 20, 2006 - 12:22 AM

I know it's only a magazine article, but the newest issue of Dirt Bike has a story on the '05/'06 WR's. It goes on to say how great an off road bike they really are and that Yamaha never really got the praise it truly deserved for creating such a winner. Kind of slipped in under the radar, so to speak. As if we didn't know that already :thumbsup:...SC

Yep, the real proof is in the sales figures! :bonk:

• mousemeat

Posted January 20, 2006 - 03:18 AM

ARin, i aggree with every word.

When you say it feels cramped, do you mean vertically, or are the bars closer to you as well?

I'll probably be getting an '06 at some point, i'm on an '04 at the moment. I'm 6'2" with ridiculously short legs (32" inseam) and a tall torso. The height is fine for me, but i wouldn't want the handlebars getting any closer. If the seat gets lower that means i can put a taller, softer seat on and end up with the same ride height, which would be great.

• new04450

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:53 AM

Arin- Has a very valid point- I am 6'2 and have an 04- I do most of my riding with sandman, who has an 06- When he 1st got his WR, we would switch bikes for a few laps. I would get off of his WR and think how small it feels. It felt nimble, and easier to turn. We went for a few months and did not trade off, and a last week for some reason I found myself on his 06. I felt like I was on something from hell! Now looking back and reading this thread I think I know why.

1. ARin is right on the money with the tank, and the hand position IMHO.

2. I have made changes to my WR, and since I am used to it, anything is going to feel less than perfect. I changed to a set of pro-taper bars, and I have a set of power pegz moved to the lower position, at 6'2 I felt cramped on my 04. sandman does not want to ride mine anymore- because of the pegz.

The bottom line- both bike are great- sandman's bike does run better(for now) as he has jetted and has the GYT-R pipe- I am jetting and putting the same pipe on mine this weekend. I bet if I traded out and got an 06, I would get used to it, and what ever I did not like, I would change the parts out to make it work for me-

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted January 20, 2006 - 06:34 AM

you can only change it so much,i did every mod i could(on my 04) to make it fit better(high bend bars mounted up and forward,tall seat,lowered pegs) and it still was a little on the small side(i'm 6'4") so making it smaller to start with is definately not a help :thumbsup: pretty soon us big guys are gonna look like we're riding mini's with big ol' ape hangers and our knees bouncin' off our chins :bonk:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:01 AM

Well, at a seat height of 38.0" the 05/06 WR is still much taller than all the KTM RFS's (36.42") and still taller than the Honda 450X (37.90"). Actually, the only bike in its class that I've found that's taller is the Husky and it's only a half an inch taller than the newest WRs. It's hard to believe that the size of the 06 WR is a handicap for some of you when it's one of the tallest enduro bikes you can buy.

• dbailey223

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:16 AM

I'm 6'4" on a 03 WR 450. I wouldn't want it any shorter, and wouldn't mind it taller at all. Maybe it has to do with my riding style (I'm not 18 anymore), but I like taller bikes where my knees aren't bent over 90 degrees with my feet on the pegs. That is why I got the WR in 2003 when my Husky top end blew.

• 1slowyj

Posted January 20, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Me being 5'10'' and used to my yz426, I found the lower seat on the '06 wr is better for turning. Maybe they designed it for us shorter guys. BTW the bar clamps are reverseable to move them forward 10mm.

• old man dan

Posted January 21, 2006 - 12:36 PM

I'm 6'4" and I've ridden an 03 and own an 05. The slight height difference doesn't seem to be as noticable as the huge difference in width. If you don't need the extra fuel range the 05 is much narrower and feels much lighter and easier to move around in the tight going. If you ride more open spaces or for longer distances I can see that the earlier bikes might be better or equal but in the tighter trails the later machines have an edge. At the end of the day they're all great bikes.

• velosapiens

Posted January 21, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Well, at a seat height of 38.0" the 05/06 WR is still much taller than all the KTM RFS's (36.42") and still taller than the Honda 450X (37.90"). Actually, the only bike in its class that I've found that's taller is the Husky and it's only a half an inch taller than the newest WRs. It's hard to believe that the size of the 06 WR is a handicap for some of you when it's one of the tallest enduro bikes you can buy.

seat height alone is not a very meaningful measure. ktm's are pretty good tall-guy bikes (with tall seat and low pegs) because the bars are fairly far forward. note that the yamahas typically have an extra inch of groundclearance compared to a ktm, so that's where some of that seat height comes in.

to me, every bike i ride seems small, and the handlebars seem like they're in my lap, but my bikes both have tall seats, low pegs and tall low-sweep bars in the forward position. i guess i'll have to sit on or ride one of these newfangled wr's to see if it seems like it can be made comfy.

-mw

• freestyle250

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:47 AM

All I know is that the '05 WR has given me more satisfaction then any other bike i have ridden or owned.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.