Wide Ratio trans?

6 replies to this topic
  • treebasher

Posted January 18, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Has anyone ever done or know of someone who has put a WR trans in a YZ 250 2-stroke? I have a 2001 YZ 250 2-stroke and have heard that a WR 400 trans will slip right in. I have also heard that a WR 426 trans will fit with a little mod work. I thought the 400 and 426 were the same? Or could it be that someone is jerkin my chain

• ncampion

Posted January 18, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Wouldn't be suprised, Yamaha is the King of Interchangability. Let us know if you try it.

• mousemeat

Posted January 19, 2006 - 02:05 AM

in australia they sell a wide ratio two stroke, the yz250wr or something like that. Get a manual for that off ebay and see what they do...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted January 19, 2006 - 07:07 PM

That Aussie 250 isn't a wide ratio tranny. It is the same bike as a YZ, execpt for the lights and stuff.

Seems like I remember reading about some guy that put a WR tranny in his YZ250. I believe you just need to match up the years. That would be a sweet woods bike.

• treebasher

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:34 PM

My YZ is already a sweet woods bike. I would just like to make it a bit sweeter!

• dustdogg

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Yamaha used to have a WR 250 two stroke in the late 80's & early 90's :bonk: . I'm not sure when they discontinued them, but I know it was before the WR four stroke 250's & 400's came out. Now back to your original question, I think you are probably out of luck :thumbsup: but I'm sure if it's possible someone will chime in. :thumbsup:

Posted January 20, 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yup I had a 89 WR. Dont know when they stopped making them either!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.