06 WR450F or wait for 07

25 replies to this topic
  • OringGroove

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:16 AM

Ok I hear Ya! I was in the same boat! Wait for the Ali frame or get the 06! Well I just thought that the Ali frame won't make a skerrick of difference to me! The 06 is an excellant bike! If you buy one you will not regret it! You just have to YZ mod it abit and then the beast in it will come out! I have a Dr D pipe, powernow, JD kit, New rear spring, grey wire mod, fat bar and I love my WR 450 06 heaps! It truly is a YZ in disguise! Thats what I like about it! Not the frame!
The ADR removal kit will work just aswell as long as you get the standard pipe modded!
Reliability, the magic button and a grin from ear to ear!
You can wait for a frame, fuel injection, WR under 100Kg,s but why wait? just get it and enjoy your time on this planet!
Remember there are many of us who do not have a choice! $$$

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 20, 2006 - 08:29 AM

As much as I like the 06's I would wait it out for the 07's..... I would love to see FI... It would be like finding out Santa Claus was real... :thumbsup:

• imdickie

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:13 AM

I'm confused , according to yamaha website regarding the 06 YZF:

"Powerful as ever, yet easier to ride. Lighter feeling and better balanced.
Those were the engineering goals for the all new YZ450F. So the engineers went to work and developed a new lighter aluminum frame, ..."

Marketing hype. If you look at the actual specs the Al frame weighs 1.1lbs more. It does change the CG to make it feel lighter but it definitely weighs more. The reason is Al is has a different tensile strength and requires more mass to have the same strength as steel.

Hope that helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted January 20, 2006 - 09:46 AM

FI? It's not even on the YZ...it sure won't make it to the WR. Not something to lose sleep over anyway. A lot of speculation here on the new WR? If a history of hand -me-down MX based off-road development continues (and it will) just look at the current new YZ450, picture lights, a bigger tank and a sidestand. Voila...the 2007 WR450!

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 20, 2006 - 10:42 AM

FI? It's not even on the YZ...it sure won't make it to the WR. Not something to lose sleep over anyway. A lot of speculation here on the new WR? If a history of hand -me-down MX based off-road development continues (and it will) just look at the current new YZ450, picture lights, a bigger tank and a sidestand. Voila...the 2007 WR450!

Well said! And in years past you would be right on the money. The only thing that might push FI onto the WR before the YZ is the upcoming more stringent federal emissions standards to be phased in over the next couple of years. Since by definition the WR is an off-road bike it will need to meet the requirements. The YZ is classified as a closed-course bike and therefore it will not. The manufacturers are not going to FI for performance but instead for compliance. The EPA is also pushing for more stringent measures to make the emissions systems more "tamper-proof" but like most things I'm sure it won't take long for someone to find a way around that.

• firezwr426

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:32 PM

The aluminum frame cannot hold oil, so I do not see the benefit of having one over a steel frame right now since the frame is used as part of the circulation and oil cooling system. WR's are more prone to slow hot weather riding with limited cooling than say the YZF which is designed more for for MX tracks with optimum cooling. The addition of an oil cooler would help this but then you are talking about more weight since the new frame does not seem to save weight as of now. I would rather keep the steel frame and have more longevity on my engine than trade up to a Aluminum frame. Maybe the oil tank on the new YZF helps with cooling, I don't know. As far as FI I would love to have it but the cost of these bike seems to high enough already for me with out the FI. I hope they can do it in a cost effective matter. As far as buying an '06 or waiting, buy one now they are awesome! :thumbsup:

why cant they find a spot for oil in the aluminum frame? so they are a wet sump set up?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.