06 WR450F or wait for 07

25 replies to this topic
  • MichielD

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:53 AM

I'm looking at replacing my faithful 2000 Wr400F, it served me well and still runs great but it's getting old school. I 'm thinking about the 06 450 but I'm also thinking of waiting for the 07 in hopes of an alum frame. Any thoughts?

Oh by the way I was thinking CRF450X, but thanks to TT posts my head is back yammie! I value reliability too much to jump to Honda (I never thought I would say that).

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:48 AM

Be patient grasshopper! 07 and 08 are going to be real hot models. :thumbsup:

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted January 18, 2006 - 11:04 AM

I would wait for 07 and pray for fuel injection!

• Triumphs

Posted January 18, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Be patient grasshopper! 07 and 08 are going to be real hot models.

Yep, I think so to. Unless they come with Fuel Infection in which case wait till 2009 for them to sort it out! :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted January 18, 2006 - 12:03 PM

Yep, I think so to. Unless they come with Fuel Infection in which case wait till 2009 for them to sort it out! :eek:

Yamaha has been doing well with FI in their road bikes for a while now. I would think they'd get it almost right the first time in their dirt bikes. :thumbsup: Someone mentioned that Dirt Rider mag stated Yamaha is testing FI in their MX bikes already?

I'm tentitavely planning on 2008 to replace my 03 but I may upgrade to an 07 depending on what the new WR has to offer. I'm not as interested in the aluminum frame as I am fuel injection! :bonk:

Sorry about the thread hijack...I'd pass on the 06 and wait for 07! :thumbsup:

• huntmaster

Posted January 18, 2006 - 12:21 PM

I have my eye on the 07 aluminum perimeter frame WR myself. But anyone who is familiar with the introduction of fuel injection to street bikes (a much friendlier environment then dirt for FI) knows how long the development cycle is and how much difficultly they have in getting them to run right. See Yamaha's own R1 for example, (two years to get right) not unique but typical of most new EFI models. As noted elsewhere here, Ducati and BMW probably have the most m/c experience here, going back to the 80's....and it took years to get it right. I would hate to see a wonderfully updated new WR with engine and major chassis improvements compromised with glitchy throttle response and other EFI development issues...nevermind being tasked with servicing such a system on the side of the trail. No thanks.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 18, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Actually my 02 R1 is fuel injected perfectly, it is the 04 that had issues with a new throttle body design. I dont think dirt has much to do with the FI developement but I can tell you that people are tired of jetting around problems or pipes. I went thru 2 pipes before I was happy with the FMF powercore 4 and SX powerbomb header. FI would be so sweet! I would even buy an upgrade kit for my 03 if the parts can be added. :thumbsup:

• flatnacker

Posted January 18, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Actually my 02 R1 is fuel injected perfectly, it is the 04 that had issues with a new throttle body design.

Stole the words right outa my mouth!!!!!

• Triumphs

Posted January 18, 2006 - 03:34 PM

I would hate to see a wonderfully updated new WR with engine and major chassis improvements compromised with glitchy throttle response and other EFI development issues...nevermind being tasked with servicing such a system on the side of the trail. No thanks.

I definitely won't be buying a first year model if it has Fuel Infection. Adopting an aluminum frame is a relative piece of cake! As noted in many cases street bikes have struggled enough sorting it out in the early days of switching over, nevermind the added dimension of a pure dirt application. Reading the recent posting of the 450 Gas Gas with a packed up EFI unit retrieved by a truck...says it all. That system has been around a few years too. How DO you fix that on the side of the trail? :thumbsup:

• Dieselhound

Posted January 18, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Yamaha is learning off road fuel injection with the 06 700 raptor quad, and they got that really good the first year out, so I bet that they would go back to the same parts bin for reliable pieces on the WR/YZ 450 F when it comes time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • imdickie

Posted January 18, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I never base my purchases on what is available in the future. I work in the computer industry and if most people waited on the promise of something then computers would never get sold. So what if you get an '06 now, it is a hell of a bike. The WR has always had a pretty descent resale value to it in the first few years. Take care of it and sell it when the new ones get the problems worked out. Then you got to have a few years of riding a good bike while you waited instead of holding a bike together with band-aids and birdshit.

• OneToGo

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:52 PM

I concur, if you want a new bike go with the present, waiting for something not promised - you are wasting your time and riding.
My guess is Yamaha will go with the Alu frame soon (07?) as they now have proved it on the YZ - remember Jaopanese do INCREMENTAL improvements - rarely big leaps. I would be very surprised if the boys in blue strutted out FI on the WR, I feel FI would first hit the tracks on the YZ. Planning and prototyping is done years in advance and while the WR is probably well due for an update as the YZ was (how many different shades of blue can you paint the frame) it seems to always follow progression made on the YZ, besides the WR still sells by the truck loads and profits run high after amortization of R and D has runits course. My .02 worth.
PS. A different view: I got a or 06 WR HOPING it be the last of the proven steel frame versions - no more development left, carbs are more tunable for the layperson than EFI (perhaps)...
safe riding

• pkcof

Posted January 19, 2006 - 12:31 AM

Yup, '05 here and pretty happy with the whole package. My theory (philosophy?) is try to update every 2 years or so. The resale of a well maintained and well presented bike is usually very good - especially with a WR450 - and the difference between that and the new bike price (divided by 24) is what it costs you to have fun per month for 2 years !! - and you don't have to wait years to appreciate on-going developments - i know that this isn't for everybody but for the ones who can take advantage of it - go out and enjoy the ride ...

• MichielD

Posted January 19, 2006 - 03:25 AM

Some great insite guy's. I want the best of all worlds in one bike. I use my bike on the road, in the trails, on the track, and even hit some freestyle ramps. THe WR offers this with some simple modifications. The Aluminum frame will further define this. I'm not stuck on FI and would perhaps avoid it the first year or two. So I'm hoping the 07 has the AL frame and no FI. If yes, I'm sold. I also hope that they offer another color package like the 50th ann YZ450F. To be honest the yammie blue doesn't do it for me anymore.

If you pre-order you should have the option customize suspension springs and handle bar bends, anyone with me on this? Anyone know when the 07's are available, Sept perhaps???

• Triumphs

Posted January 19, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Yup, '05 here and pretty happy with the whole package. My theory (philosophy?) is try to update every 2 years or so. The resale of a well maintained and well presented bike is usually very good..

Yes, the 05 was a nice update and I almost traded up then. But the old turkey is holding up pretty good (another nice WR trait) and I'm really stoked about an all new generation WR for looks, performance, the works...so perhaps next year will be the year.

• moach1

Posted January 19, 2006 - 02:29 PM

waiting for second year efi. cant wait hate rejetting for season.

• imdickie

Posted January 19, 2006 - 03:34 PM

...The Aluminum frame will further define this. I'm not stuck on FI and would perhaps avoid it the first year or two. So I'm hoping the 07 has the AL frame and no FI.

You do know that the Al frame actually adds wieght right? The only reason to get an Al frame is if the stiffness benefits you personally.

• John M62

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I went from a 2000 WR 400 to an 05 WR 450. The 05 is a big improvement over the 2000.I think I would get the 06 and keep the steel frame. Then get a FI in a few years.

• tony1970

Posted January 19, 2006 - 05:51 PM

The aluminum frame cannot hold oil, so I do not see the benefit of having one over a steel frame right now since the frame is used as part of the circulation and oil cooling system. WR's are more prone to slow hot weather riding with limited cooling than say the YZF which is designed more for for MX tracks with optimum cooling. The addition of an oil cooler would help this but then you are talking about more weight since the new frame does not seem to save weight as of now. I would rather keep the steel frame and have more longevity on my engine than trade up to a Aluminum frame. Maybe the oil tank on the new YZF helps with cooling, I don't know. As far as FI I would love to have it but the cost of these bike seems to high enough already for me with out the FI. I hope they can do it in a cost effective matter. As far as buying an '06 or waiting, buy one now they are awesome! :thumbsup:

• MichielD

Posted January 20, 2006 - 05:31 AM

You do know that the Al frame actually adds wieght right? The only reason to get an Al frame is if the stiffness benefits you personally.

I'm confused , according to yamaha website regarding the 06 YZF:

"Powerful as ever, yet easier to ride. Lighter feeling and better balanced.
Those were the engineering goals for the all new YZ450F. So the engineers went to work and developed a new lighter aluminum frame, ..."

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.