Minimal Dual-Sport

18 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Have any of you heard the line, "if you want a dual sport bike, buy 2 bikes." I somewhat agree, although it is nice to have street-legal dirt bike.

This is for all of you thinking of buying a XR650L, DON"T DO IT!!! The XR650R is infinately better on the dirt, and can be made street legal with less than 300 bucks, (in most states).

I live in CO, which is one of the easiest. No inspection, just a signature on a form that says, "I installed all the required steet-legal parts."

All you need is a brake light, (kit availible from Baja Designs for $45)
A mirror, (acerbus fold down mirror - $15)
and technically, a horn. (I got a generic motorcycle horn for $10)

For mine, I had Baja Designs re-wind the Stator ($125), and I bought a fender drop down for the plate ($30).

So far we're at $225 dollars. You'll spend more than that trying to get a 650L un-corked.

Posted Image

• husky123

Posted January 18, 2006 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for that ground-breaking post newb.

• huntmaster

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Have any of you heard the line, "if you want a dual sport bike, buy 2 bikes." I somewhat agree, although it is nice to have street-legal dirt bike.

That is quote from Rick "Super hunky" Siemen and probably a few others...one which I probably have agreed with in the past. The new generation of of showroom street legal dirt bikes (as with the new Husky's) does add a new dimension to this "compromise"...a concept which dualsports are all about and the reason for that statement.

But there are compromises within that dualsport compromise, from street legalized enduro bikes (Husky, 450X's) you would not want to take too far down the highway to heavyweight adventure touring bikes (KLR650 +) you would not want to take down a seriously technical trail. The 650R and L both fall within that spectrum, albeit towards opposite ends. You have to make the 650r street legal, the L is legal out of the crate. The R is a better dirt bike, which can do some street duty...the L is a better street bike which can do some dirt duty! These bikes don't compete with each other if you are at all clear on your riding style and preferences. Arguing about the relative merits of these bikes is pointless as you are arguing about different riding styles...and yet we persist! :thumbsup:

• roadcam

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:24 AM

not to mention, anytime you see posts in here regarding bike PROBLEMS, its always the 'R' ... you seldom will see a guy in here trying to keep his XR650L, or XR600 running ... ( "gee, your "L' isnt as fast as my 'R' "... "gimme a hand pushstarting this pig, will ya , my leg hurts from all the kicking ! " .. "sorry, I'd help, but Im still recovering from my footpeg falling off " ... "damn, overheated and boiling over again " ... " that dumbass at DMV wouldnt put license plates on my DIRT bike !"... "my ass hurts from this tiny seat" .... just go away...take your 'R' to the racetracks, and I promise I will cheer you on .. GO RED ! ... just keep it in the dirt where it belongs ... :thumbsup:

• x400r

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:25 AM

lucky you but some people that live outside of colorado need turn signals.

• HawkGT

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:51 AM

I went with an R vs. an L and I'm glad I did.

The R just has so much performance. My buddy has a DR650 and I'll admit it's a bit more comfortable on the street but it's a little to ho-hum in every other respect. I can live with the little seat and kick-start when there's that much go in the R engine (pretty decent suspention too).

Living in AZ you can get a plate for it easily and cheaply. :thumbsup:

• desert4seat

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Damn! I just bought a Brand new 650L!!! Wish I read this post earlier. Aint that a bit@#!!!! LOL!
You failed to mention the positive points of the L…. And there’s quite a few.

P.S. first post here! Whats up guys?!

• roadcam

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:15 AM

welcome to the forum ... good bunch here, lots of razzing (R vs L), but lots of good info to be found in here ... uncork your 'L', get some decent tires on it, its the world's most fun bike .. :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:24 AM

if you live in a state that has strict laws, I guess a dual sport kit is the best option for you.

Positives for a XRL?!?!? it's heavier, slower, & has much less power. Positives?!?! hehe, J/K. The XRL is much more stable on the road. I've hit 90 on the highway (on dirt tires) and I didn't feel like I was even touching the ground. I loved it though, because everyone I passed was checking out my bike as I flew by.

I pissed off a Harley rider once too. I beat him off the line & it took him almost a mile to catch up, before he dusted me. I could tell he was impressed with what my single cylinder thumper could do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert4seat

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:35 AM

yeah Roadcam...my XR's only pipe is in the mail...as well as my jet kit, pump block off, and filter... thanks for the welcome...glad to be aboard.

positives...well...
how about reliability? aircooled & bulletproof! that counts for something when your 600 miles deep in Baja right? The main reason for buying the L was that FACT.

• motopsycho650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not out to start a fight, just some friendly debate. hehe. I am a newb here... but I've been in the yahoo XR650 group for 3 years now. I'm not a total newb.

Actually I joined to chat with Dr. Mark in the health forum. I've been riding since I was 6. I thought I was indestructable, untill I shattered my femur in march, '05. So, everyone who rides these big fast bikes, be CAREFUL. The broken femur hurt, but not as much as not being able to ride last season.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Positives for a XRL?!?!? it's heavier, slower, & has much less power.

If you're not in it for the speed, the XRL will go wherever the R will, just fine. Often with less effort. But maybe that's just the mountain-goat trails I like.

Not everyone's a speed demon, and not everyone lives in a state where you can plate an "R" (damn east coast).

But yes, speed good, weight bad, run watcha brung, shaddup, no complaining.

D

• motopsycho650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:56 AM

I don't know about that though. The 650L was based on the XR600. My cousin's '96 XR600 blew an engine because the auto-decompressor on the cam over heated, and became loose. Also, the cylinder walls were warped from heat. According to the sparkplug, the bike was running with a good mixture.

I will say that if I smash a radiator, or poke a hole in one, I am screwed. But even when the 650R is hot enough to boil the coolant, the head is still at a lower temp than the normal temp of the 650L.

• huntmaster

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:02 AM

Positives for a XRL?!?!? it's heavier, slower, & has much less power.

Works for Harley! In fact you get to pay twice as much for the privledge! Not everyone is looking for the same thing.
The L and R don't compete with each other unless you have no clue as to your riding preferences. :thumbsup:

• Triumphs

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:16 AM

The L and R don't compete with each other unless you have no clue as to your riding preferences.

But I want a new open class Honda street bike and my dad says the 1100 Shadow is the best bike but my friend says the CBR1000RR is better! Oh dear, oh dear...what do I do?

Please don't say I must put some thought to this based on my own preferences and needs! :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:16 AM

Works for Harley! In fact you get to pay twice as much for the privledge! Not everyone is looking for the same thing.
The L and R don't compete with each other unless you have no clue as to your riding preferences. :thumbsup:

I agree, it's all personal preference. My uncle rides a '93 DR650 with a 5 gallon tank on it. I know that bike is over 400lbs. full of gas. I can out run him in the flats, not problem. But, when it comes to a tight, technical trail, he has no problems keeping up on that big dinosaur. Just proves that skill wins the race, not nessisarly the bike.

I just love reading the replies to a controvercial comment. hehe

• mikekay

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:20 AM

Just ask yourself:

Do I need a Husqvarna TE 250? 450? 510? or 610? all are factory dual sported 50 state street legal serious dirt bikes...

Someday Honda might wake up and join the 21st century dual sport world....but for now the europeans have left them in the dust...

The only other options are the DRz, and the KTM LC4.
Both heavy, down on power, poorly suspended, and a bit dated.

:thumbsup:

• Triumphs

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:27 AM

Just ask yourself:
Do I need a Husqvarna TE 250? 450? 510? or 610? all are factory dual sported 50 state street legal serious dirt bikes...

OR...do I wan't a bike that will go thousands of off road miles with no rebuild, minimal maintenance AND actually has a dealer near me! :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:41 AM

Just ask yourself: Do I need a Husqvarna TE 250? 450? 510? or 610? all are factory dual sported 50 state street legal serious dirt bikes...

OR...do I wan't a bike that will go thousands of off road miles with no rebuild, minimal maintenance AND actually has a dealer near me! :thumbsup:

LOL Triumphs. I don't think I've ever seen a Husky in CO, not to mention a Husky dealer.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.