Handle bar mounted GPS

12 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_K

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Hi all, Been out for a while, got a boat last summer so have been playing with that. went riding this past weekend a had a blast. Very wet and muddy, slippery and all but my 05 450 had no problems, man i love this bike. It does what ever i ask it to do and more, a little too much throttle in the corners and down i went but other than that it was all good. Ya know you put these bikes away for awhile and almost forget how much fun they are, i was tearing it up.
Anyway, I got a hand held magellan gps for christmas from the wife, very cool, but while out riding wished it was handle bar mounted, having to stop and pull it out was kindof a drag.
Whats everybody using I did a gps search on here and dint come up with anything. I know there has been talk of this, but cant find anything so i thought i would bring it up again.
The megellan i have is the explorist 400, its kindof a new product from what i understand so im sure there are some trick handle bar mounted ones.

• mmxr650r

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:58 AM

Here you go...Ram Mount

Posted Image

Hi all, Been out for a while, got a boat last summer so have been playing with that. went riding this past weekend a had a blast. Very wet and muddy, slippery and all but my 05 450 had no problems, man i love this bike. It does what ever i ask it to do and more, a little too much throttle in the corners and down i went but other than that it was all good. Ya know you put these bikes away for awhile and almost forget how much fun they are, i was tearing it up.
Anyway, I got a hand held magellan gps for christmas from the wife, very cool, but while out riding wished it was handle bar mounted, having to stop and pull it out was kindof a drag.
Whats everybody using I did a gps search on here and dint come up with anything. I know there has been talk of this, but cant find anything so i thought i would bring it up again.
The megellan i have is the explorist 400, its kindof a new product from what i understand so im sure there are some trick handle bar mounted ones.

• Kevin_K

Posted January 17, 2006 - 10:28 AM

Cool Thanks, Thats a start. Possible breakage if i went down hard. But i will try it out. Whats everyone else using??

• glasseye

Posted January 17, 2006 - 10:33 AM

Cool Thanks, Thats a start. Possible breakage if i went down hard. But i will try it out. Whats everyone else using??

I use a Ram Mount for my GPS V. If you can adjust it as low as possible while maintaining a good view, the risk of it getting damaged when you go down is quite low.

• steve lemley

Posted January 17, 2006 - 10:58 AM

Check ebay also I know they sell them for other models there!!!

• mmxr650r

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:14 AM

Agree with glasseye...that is not a good pic, of how to set it up. I used the same setup, with my Garmin V, and it worked great...had the unit tilted side-ways...no issues...ever. Here is a pic of mine..

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BeeDub

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:53 AM

[quote name='mmxr650r']Agree with glasseye...that is not a good pic, of how to set it up. I used the same setup, with my Garmin V, and it worked great...had the unit tilted side-ways...no issues...ever. Here is a pic of mine..
QUOTE]

I have a RAM mount with a twist lock suction cup end that I use for filming my heli-flights, but even with it lowered all the way, it still seems a little cumbersome for a bike. Not taking anything away from RAM mount, I love mine. I could've sworn I've seen them mounted in a way that they are a little better protected. Sorry I can't offer any help. If I run across another way, I'll re-post.
:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted January 17, 2006 - 03:07 PM

I have the explorist 300 and I bought the handlebar mount from Magellan. I first I thought it looked a little weak but it has proven to be very durable. I ride some pretty bumpy stuff so for extra measure I put a strip of velcro on the back which works very well :thumbsup:

• Kevin_K

Posted January 17, 2006 - 03:34 PM

thanks for the info, i will try one of the 2

• bg10459

Posted January 17, 2006 - 05:09 PM

I made a mount for my GPS that slips over the gas filler neck and has a tab that slips under the seat to hold it in place. I feel that this is a great place because it isn't vulnerable in a crash, plus it's easily installed and removed. I only put it in place when I need to find my way.
http://i21.photobuck...59/DSC02066.jpg
http://i21.photobuck...59/DSC02069.jpg

• ddialogue

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Believe me, the RAM mount is the BEST solution out there for protecting your gps. The cradle completely encompasses the gps and it's vibration dampened at two points. I've crashed hard on my WR and the GPS has always stayed put. I run mine down against the pad and my dualsport mirror protects it from the roost. Been using this setup for 2+ years now without any problems whatsoever. If you use a gps full time on your bike (like I do) you will not be disappointed in this setup (and cost is very reasonable!)

Dave's Ram Mount

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Ditto I ride with the ram mount as well! Best vibration and impact protection fro the GPS unit! :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

• bcs

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:28 PM

I use the RAM mount.
Check out cycoactive. They are the experts--and a great place to buy from.
Definitely check out their info on wiring one of these to a dirt bike. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.