Frame paint suggestions

9 replies to this topic
  • ironbird456

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:33 AM

I have some spots on the frame of my 01 YZ426 that need to be painted. I was wondering if any of you TTers have suggestions on procedure, or what primer, paint, or clear coat to use? Thanks in advance for the info.

• s3706

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:02 AM

I had custom powder coating in dallas media blast and powder coat my frame, subframe, handlebars, upper clamp, ignition cover, valve cover and clutch cover. The powder coating still looks great after a years worth of riding. :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:29 AM

PJ1 Yamaha Blue, frame paint:
Color-Rite code: 5815 (deep purplish blue metallic)
Manufacturer's code: 564
paint (1 small can) $ 19,95
clear coat (1 small can) $12.95
The shop will give you advice on priming.
Never paint anything on unsanded or greasy surfaces.

• shigbie

Posted January 17, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Forget the paint and buy an 06

• ironbird456

Posted January 18, 2006 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I would have it powder coated if I wanted to tear the bike apart, but I don't. I would buy an 06 if I had money like shigbie, but I don't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted January 18, 2006 - 07:27 AM

Like you, powder coating and a new bike (I am / WAS hoping to get an 06 YZ450F...) is out of the question.

I am giving some black epoxy paint, w/ primer a shot.

I presently have all yellow plastic w/ Hannah Era graphics on my 99 WR420 (bigbore).

• dsconstructs

Posted January 18, 2006 - 02:42 PM

• RCannon

Posted January 18, 2006 - 02:48 PM

I think a silver powdercoat would look cool. The pj1 stuff is pretty decent, however.

• rasta

Posted January 18, 2006 - 04:35 PM

i used aircraft carrier deck paint, it is not the smoothest or brightest paint , but is really hard to scrape or chip off.

• RCannon

Posted January 18, 2006 - 05:17 PM

Do we want to ask how you obtained this paint??? Everytime I try to sneak on board to get some, they catch me.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.