IMS tank Questions

2 replies to this topic
  • RMarkus

Posted January 17, 2006 - 01:09 AM

I just got a 4 gallon IMS tank that I traded my YZ tank for (I have a 2001 WR426).

First...the color is a dark blue and doesn't match. Not really a big deal, but do one of the plastics companies make matching radiator shrouds and rear YZ fender?

Next, and more importantly, It has the petcock on the right side and the petcock outlet faces forward. This has to be the worst design possible for trying to route the fuel line. I do not have instructions and I didn't get the fuel line in the trade. What is the way to run the fuel line? I can't see running it all the way around the head, but I also can't see turning it back on itself and running it back around to the carb. Either way just seems wrong...but which way is it suppose to be?

Also, while I'm asking dumb questions...is there a way to polish the plastics and get light scratches out? The tank is a bit scratched up and I'd like to make it look sightly better.

I tried the search function and could find what I was looking for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted January 17, 2006 - 03:49 AM

Also, while I'm asking dumb questions...is there a way to polish the plastics and get light scratches out? The tank is a bit scratched up and I'd like to make it look sightly better.

There is a product called plastic renew, one of my mates used it on his old XR600 plastics with great results. Don't know how it works or how to use it but it did work.

I would just give it a bit of a sand with some light sand paper. Use some "brasso" or some other metal polish with a rag and get rubbing. It works a treat.

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:06 AM

Sounds like you've got the wrong petcock on the tank. The IMS petcock faces the rear of the bike when mounted on the right side. I have a 3.4 gal IMS tank on my '01 426 and it also uses a right side petcock. The hose routes back and over the the intake manifold boot. Works fine but make sure the hose does not get too close to the header.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.