yz 426 front sprocket removal

10 replies to this topic
  • Code

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Any tricks to get this sucker to break free...Wife standing on rear brake...i lifting the stinking bike and wife off the ground trying to get the counterchaft nut to loosen up....

Anyone been there, done that? Sure could use the help...I do not want to Round off the nut.......

• CRFThumper

Posted January 17, 2006 - 04:56 AM

Impact!!! Thats a big nut and hold a lot of tourqe.The sharp blows help a lot.

• SureBlue

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:56 AM

And put the gears in neutral, you don't want to break anything.

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:12 PM

definately either an impact gun or a breaker bar with a hammer. CRFthumper has it correct. :thumbsup:

• INJURY_69

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Have a question? Use our Search feature (top right) before asking. Our archives are huge and most likely it's already been discussed at length.

In this case you didn't even have to search but just glance at the latest threads.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rockieman

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:47 PM

I had a tough time getting mine off of my WR this winter. Impact would not break it loose. I finally got it off with a bf pair of channel locks and a breaker bar.
Try some PB BLaster on the nut prior to....

• tacoma426

Posted January 17, 2006 - 10:06 PM

I had to use a Impact as well. Good Luck

• Yak

Posted January 17, 2006 - 10:15 PM

Forget trying to hold the brake or put it in gear... I put a hammer handle through the spokes on top of the swingarm. Put it right up against the nipples. There is no way on earth you will be able to generate enough force to do any damage. Works every time. Repeat for installation, but this time under the swingarm... obviously.

Note: Assuming you still have the chain on.

• Fizz

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Forget trying to hold the brake

i do that every time, works perfect .... :thumbsup:

• bxrjim

Posted January 18, 2006 - 02:05 PM

When doing work like this I was taught by the old schoolers. I work by myself so no ones around to hold my brake. Take a piece of 3/8 soft nylon rope and tie a knot in it at the end. Remove your spark plug and slide the knot into the cylinder and carefully raise the piston till it stops. Take the sprocket off or the flywheel what ever your doing and then to tighten back up reverse the process. I'm curious as to what you think about this method, so do tell.

• Code

Posted January 18, 2006 - 04:36 PM

Good tips....thanks Guys....went without a hitch :thumbsup:... New chain and sprockets...just waiting to get dirty :bonk:~

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.