I love kick start!

12 replies to this topic
  • Pilate74

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:34 PM

I love the fact that my friends cannot get the 650r started. It makes me look like a hero to start that pig. I have had a few problems with starting that sucker, but sticking to the correct procedure, its easy. Yes I have flooded it in the middle of the desert, but who cares as I can kick that machine untill it starts. No can do with electric start only. You guys that complain about lack of electric start are too lazy. I let a 60 pound 7 year old cold start my 650r to prove a point. He could not keep it running, but it ran for about 10 secs.

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:29 PM

So a 60 pound 7 year old could get your 650r started but your friends can't? Help me understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that electric start is not advantageous because kick-starting is more reliable? Are you saying that the reliability factor of kick-start is better, overall, than the ease of electric start? Help me out.

• wheelnut46

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:46 PM

:applause:
Originally I thought I wanted kick start but after tearing a muscle in my leg that almost needed surgery and took 3 months to heal I decided that the little red button was gonna do OK. :bonk:
Injury's suck.

• roadcam

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:48 PM

must be nice to have knees that are capable of kick-starting 'anything' ... when my 'button-thumb' gets arthritic, I know my riding days are gone ... :applause: :bonk:

• Pilate74

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:48 PM

my other bike is a 650l. I have been able to drain the battery and have had to tow start. The 7 year olds dad had a kicker, did not get P.O.ed at the fact it took some extra time to start. The kid had heart, not skill. I took him rideing after that. Adults can get mad beacause they think they know everthing, kids will hear you. I am a 29 year old kid.

• Pilate74

Posted January 16, 2006 - 09:02 PM

wheelnut46 I have a 1966 Maliblewbyou, is yours a 396? I love those old cars. I put 400 small block in mine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I wish they kept the kicker on the L- it'd be good insurance, and I have to tell you I'd probably lose the starter and battery to get the weight down.

D

• JohnBG

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:55 AM

Just call me "old school", but a dirt bike without a kick starter don't seem right! But as I am rapidly approaching the age of 40, I appreciate that "little red button" more. I like the setup on my Ural, it has both kick and electric start.

• exaresix

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hey Pilate,

Why don't you answer the first responder's questions. I too am confused as the the point you are trying to make. Dialogue is a two way street.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:15 PM

I wish they kept the kicker on the L- it'd be good insurance.

D

they left room for a kick (right foot peg sticks out 3 extra inches for a kick) if thats any compensation.

• Pilate74

Posted January 18, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Hey Pilate,

Why don't you answer the first responder's questions. I too am confused as the the point you are trying to make. Dialogue is a two way street.

Okay, The kick start is alot better to have in the middle of nowhere. The electric start is better in town. My point is kick starting is not a big deal. I have read a few post about people who want a 650r, but got an650l for the electric start. I have both bikes and the 650r outclasses the L in every way. I sill like to ride the L. But I hate dead batteries and no backup kickstart. My dumass left the key on at the grocery store and therfore the dead battery. It is really hard to bump start a mighty Xr on slick pavement. The 650r is more reliable for me.

• desert4seat

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:12 AM

left the key on at the store?!?!? Damn, I gotta move to Texas...Pull that stunt around my neck of the woods and say bye bye to that L...

• Pilate74

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:55 AM

left the key on at the store?!?!? Damn, I gotta move to Texas...Pull that stunt around my neck of the woods and say bye bye to that L...

I do not even have a set of house keys. I went away for about a week and my work truck was missing when I got home. I was just about to call the cops, and then I saw my neighbor pulling in my driveway with my truck. He borrowed it to dump some trash. He filled up both gas tanks for me. I do take the keys out when I go to a big town. (over 10,000). I once left my keys in the ignition at Midland International airport for two weeks, yup truck was still there along with my 45 colt under the seat.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.