Almost stripped oil filter cover bolt

14 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Check THIS out. Was using a TORQUE WRENCH set to the proper value and almost stripped out my oil filter cover bolt on my 2005 XR650L.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The other bolts snugged up and sealed fine, clicking the torque wrench at 9 ft-lbs. This screw snugged up but kept turning without the torque wrench clicking. After about 1/8 -1/4 turn past snug, I started getting nervous. I backed it out and found that it was almost broke in half. I snapped it in half (picture shows it) with my fingers. Thank God it didn't snap in half in the engine.

Any of you have this happen??? I thought a torque wrench was supposed to STOP this from happening? :applause: By the way, any of you have an extra oil filter cover bolt lying around? :bonk:

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:01 PM

By the way, take a look at the pics. The center of the bolt looks black, not shiny. Do you think the bolt was bad?

• Fetona

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:55 PM

I did the same thing on my XT600. Now on my XR600 I just tighten the bolts with a socket wrench, not a torqe wrench. They don't need to be very tight, just snug.

• oats

Posted January 16, 2006 - 09:29 PM

Nice pictures! I did the exact same thing to all three of the oil filter cover bolts using a torque wrench. I did not figure it out until I went to get on my 2005 L on my lunch break and noticed a puddle underneath and a trail leading up to where I parked. I guess the torque was so perfect that the heads snapped off about 99 percent but still seemed to be secure until that little extra pressure from the engine was exerted while riding to work. I used to be a fine tolerence machinist so I would think that I would have a clue. Honda has probably got it right but I now tighten my oil related bolts without a torque wrench.

• goblin127

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:42 AM

Thanx for the warning>

• roadcam

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:20 AM

two things about torque wrenches that you probably know, maybe some readers dont : torque readings are for CLEAN threads in perfect condition, and also, if you have an extension on your socket, the torque will be higher than it indicates .. also, always use an anti-seize product when threading steel screws into aluminum .. :thumbsup:

• XRsteve

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Same thing happened to me the 2nd time I changed oil on my XR400. Since then I dont torque them as tight as they say to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:01 AM

They just have to be tight enough that they don't come loose.

D

• deej

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:43 AM

The only time I have ever used a torque wrench is for Auto engine rebuilds, just snug it up, beter to have it fall out than to break off.

• miguelitro

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:07 PM

anti-sieze??? shoot who's ever heard of or gosh forbid used it???
seriously though that, cleaning up your threads alittle and a very good idea of what 8-12 pounds of torque feells like will fix this(hint- its not much at all...)
BTW I'm kinda an anti-sieze and thread cleaning junky, my uncle was a mid west mechanic and he taught me alot. now if i quit riding i'd quit breakin
mike

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hey Roadcam...how does an extension on the socket (which there was one) increase the torque exerted at the click by the torque wrench? Not the handle, but the socket. It seems to me that it wouldn't matter.

The guy at the parts department said that this sort of thing happens all the time at the shop. They had another bolt in stock; only $2.99 (!).

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 17, 2006 - 08:09 PM

the only bolts i torque on my bike are the axles.....i tried torquing the bolts that hold the front axle on and snaped one....luckily it was high enough to grab onto it with vise grips and pull er out. after that i was done, i just nicely snug them all. on major engine work, i would probably get an inch pound wrench and torque everything properly but on stuff like oil filter cover bolts, just snug them.

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 18, 2006 - 05:07 AM

The other thing to note, is that all bolts have torque ranges. I've heard that Honda *used* to put these in, but don't anymore. I'm pretty sure they only give maximum torque specs nowadays. So, a bolt listed as 9 lb-ft should be something like 6-9 lb-ft. There are alot of bolts on the 650R that are prone to breakage if torqued to spec. Just use your standard socket and torque it to feel, but on the easy side. Then just check it after riding.

• roadcam

Posted January 18, 2006 - 11:50 AM

Hey Roadcam...how does an extension on the socket (which there was one) increase the torque exerted at the click by the torque wrench? Not the handle, but the socket. It seems to me that it wouldn't matter.

The guy at the parts department said that this sort of thing happens all the time at the shop. They had another bolt in stock; only $2.99 (!).

I cant answer that, sorry ... just know it has been burned into my brain from shop classes, and have seen it in writing ... think maybe it came with the torque wrench paperwork ... cant prove it, I just take it as accurate info ..
:thumbsup:

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 18, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I felt the same way about the crankcase oil drain bolt. It seemed to turn a *little* bit too much before the wrench clicked. It's probably because the bolt was oily. I'll never use the torque wrench again. Anyway, I know about what a certain number of foot pounds is, anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.