YZ 450F (06) Best Tires Soft Track

12 replies to this topic
  • markhardgrove

Posted January 16, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Riding on the new Dunlop 739's and sliding all over the track. Riding in a sand/dirt/sawdust mix with hard pack jump faces. Gets muddy when its not soft. Just ordered Michelin Starcross Soft/Intermediate front and rear and hope that improves. Any experience out there for soft tracks with sawdust?
thanks Mark

• flintlock28

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Do yourself a favor and get rid of those 739's.

I have a 2004 model Yz 450f, and everyone I talked to said the 739 gave them problems (washout city), including me.

I now use a Dunlop 756 up front, and a Maxxis IT on the rear. THis gives a pretty good combo on everything except really wet, muddy conditions.

This seems to be a popular combo for a number of TT people that works out well.

I hated the 739 up front, on the back wasn't too bad, but the 756 front and Maxxis IT rear works much better.

• markhardgrove

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Anyone riding with a soft tire?
Anyone know a good tire for mud riding?
thanks Mark

• Gizabious

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:43 PM

pirelli mt 32's best tyre i've used for intermediate & soft conditions

• b-bike

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:56 PM

Riding on the new Dunlop 739's and sliding all over the track. Riding in a sand/dirt/sawdust mix with hard pack jump faces. Gets muddy when its not soft. Just ordered Michelin Starcross Soft/Intermediate front and rear and hope that improves. Any experience out there for soft tracks with sawdust?
thanks Mark

Mark:

My .02 cents says you should run the matching Michelin S-12 (med-soft) on back. :bonk:
I've got that on my 426 and it HOOKS-UP :applause:

Boyd

• Ga426owner

Posted January 17, 2006 - 04:57 AM

thanks Mark

you have the best set up ... Michelins are awesome :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bud

Posted January 17, 2006 - 05:25 AM

dunlop 773 front and rear. the best for down hear in south alabama(soft, silty and muddy conditions).

• mxmob33

Posted January 17, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Can't go wrong with the Michelens. Carefull switching from that stock 739 front to the S12 though, it'll surprise you how well it grabs.

• SureBlue

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:20 AM

Mark:

My .02 cents says you should run the matching Michelin S-12 (med-soft) on back. :thumbsup:
I've got that on my 426 and it HOOKS-UP :thumbsup:

Boyd

S-12, absolutely. :bonk:

• Pukeballs

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:48 AM

What would you recommend for desert type terrain? Lots of sand and rocks where I ride.

• shigbie

Posted January 17, 2006 - 04:39 PM

My 06 had a 739 front and a 756 rear when I went to pick it up. I had them change the front tire as part of the deal to a 756 front before I left the store. It is THE tire for soft to intermediate conditions period!!!

• mummer12

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:10 PM

I would probaly run the michelin s12's or a dunlop 773 if I were riding in soft conditions. I always have a problem with washing, probably my riding style, but I have used stock 742, dunlop 756 rr, dunlop 756, michelin s12, michelin m12 on my bike already, and I like the d756's the best. I used to manage a moto shop so I still get the killer hookups. I could say I am blessed.

• b-bike

Posted January 17, 2006 - 09:48 PM

What would you recommend for desert type terrain? Lots of sand and rocks where I ride.

The same Michelin S-12 (med-soft).
Some of the places where I ride in eastern Oregon it is loose sand/ hard pack sand/ rocks. The S-12 has never failed to impress me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.