How do you lock your DS'ed XR650R ?

18 replies to this topic
  • Mudshark

Posted January 16, 2006 - 03:56 PM

Without an ignition switch and steering lock I'm worried about
leaving the bike in public places..... any good suggestions / Ideas ?

• oldturtle

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:23 PM

I carry a padlock and use it in the holes of the front disc. Try and remember to remove before you ride off. :bonk:
One padlock can also be used to lock two bikes together. Position bikes facing opposite directions with kickstands together and put padlock through one footpeg of each bike. :applause:

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I keep a padlock on my rack which I use when parked also. Front or rear disc works good.
I've forgotten about it more than once when I try to take off!!! I ended up painting it bright orange to help me remember...DUH :applause:

I recommend wiring in an ignition key switch. A little more peace of mind.

• RedRider250X

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:51 PM

put the pad lock on the brake, with a piece of string or something tied to it. Tie the other end to your handlebar, and you'll never forget :applause:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 16, 2006 - 05:13 PM

You could go on ebay and a guy has custom speedometers and/or key switches. They look nice. I will be purchasing one for my xr650r. E-mail him for diffrent combos and prices. He sells just key switch also.

Would put link but he sold the last one and its not on ebay yet. You can find him on ebay. Search xr650r and his speedometer or key switch will come up.

2000 Honda xr650r
-plated with baja designs
-uncorked
-Fmf powercore IV2
-Like new and fast

• hill5150

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Can't move a bike that has a cable or chain through both wheels w/ a Master lock.................

• Fordskin

Posted January 17, 2006 - 03:25 AM

In Australia they come with a key lock half way down the steering stem on the clutch side of the bike.

• al_piv

Posted January 17, 2006 - 04:08 AM

You Australia guys get all the goodies!!!!

• thouk

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:21 AM

Fordskin,
Can you send me a picture of the lock? houk27 at yahoo.com Thanks, Tony

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fingers

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:31 AM

The DK (Euro/Aussie) get the steering lock welded into the frame. It cannot be added. Nevertheless it is a flimsy locking feature, no more valueable than a simple padlock on the brake rotor both of which only prevent a roll away theft. If you want to secure your ride you need to chain it to something.

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 17, 2006 - 12:23 PM

I use one of those Kryptonite Evolution locks, except I put it through the rear sprocket instead of the disc. It won't keep 3guys from lifting it up into the back of a pickup, but the sight may be a slight deterrent.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 18, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Chain it to a large, heavy object, like an XR650L.

-D

• creeky

Posted January 18, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I use railroad padlocks through the rear sprocket around the drive chain plus a heavy chain with a padlock around a convenient permanent object like a tree or lampost. We had a BRP stolen in Mexico 3 yrs. ago that was chained only to 5 other bikes, no lock on the sprocket, they simply cut the chain with a torch and rolled the bike away.

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 18, 2006 - 12:42 PM

-D

I knew those "L's" had a purpose.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 18, 2006 - 01:54 PM

Lock? Locks?!? We don't need no steeeeeking locks!

Silent, paging alarm, plus 12-guage pump shotgun. :thumbsup:

• bigboredbiker

Posted January 19, 2006 - 03:26 AM

-D

ooh bitchy...lol :thumbsup:

• bigboredbiker

Posted January 19, 2006 - 03:32 AM

put the pad lock on the brake, with a piece of string or something tied to it. Tie the other end to your handlebar, and you'll never forget :thumbsup:

Over here in the UK they sell disc locks with a bright yellow curly cord to attach to the bars. That way you'll not forget it, like I did many years ago in front of college (and a bunch of stunning girlies). :bonk:

I'm sure they must have made it across the pond by now...the locks not the girls...google it guys

• STENY

Posted January 19, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Cut it with a torch? I'd say they wanted that bike no matter what it was secured to. I use dual disc break locks. If it moves from there, it deserves to leave me. Off road bike insurance works good then. Steny

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 20, 2006 - 08:56 AM

ooh bitchy...lol :thumbsup:

I have one, so I'm allowed!

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.