decompression lever

8 replies to this topic
  • wedrivezs

Posted January 15, 2006 - 06:22 PM

do I have to use it?

• wedrivezs

Posted January 15, 2006 - 06:23 PM

oh yeah, and do these have a tendency to stick open? If they do then what happens?

• tcmII

Posted January 15, 2006 - 07:03 PM

The answer to the first post comes in the form of a question: How are you starting your bike? There's no way that I could start my WR400 with out the decompression lever. In fact, the couple times I got it wrong or if back-fired I though I broke my ankle.

One time it hurt so bad I couldn't walk for 10 - 15 minutes. My wife couldn't stop laughing.

So in a word, yes.

As far as the second post: I have never had mine stick open.

• gregwr450f

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:30 PM

What year bike?
Don't get it confused with a hot start lever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WildRide

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:34 PM

How big is your leg?

• tshe1

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:36 PM

oh yeah, and do these have a tendency to stick open? If they do then what happens?

their is way to start the bike without using the leaver, you will have to bring it to TDC before kick it by applying constant pressure on the kick until you find the TDC. (I'm doing it sometime as showoff).
if the lever is stick open, their is leak of compression and the bike will not start.
the decompression system is helps you to bring the piston to TDC by pushing the exhaust valve and releasing the compression. :applause:

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:37 PM

you dont absolutly have to use it ...you just get it to "the hard spot" and hold pressure on the kicker for a min and it will go. i have had mine get all funky when turning the bars b4 but not literaly stick open

• wedrivezs

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:39 PM

You're right it would be the hot start.

I should specify, that 1) new bike, and long story - traded a van for it...... 2) it's a 04 WR450.

It's got the ASV levers, and the little tiny lever, must be the hot start??? Anywho, the guy I bought it from said he doesn't use it cause it sticks open and can burn the valves?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm a pretty nieve jackass so far with this bike......just trying to relive my youth a little, but I'm running short on time.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 18, 2006 - 12:41 AM

You're right it would be the hot start.

I should specify, that 1) new bike, and long story - traded a van for it...... 2) it's a 04 WR450.

It's got the ASV levers, and the little tiny lever, must be the hot start??? Anywho, the guy I bought it from said he doesn't use it cause it sticks open and can burn the valves?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm a pretty nieve jackass so far with this bike......just trying to relive my youth a little, but I'm running short on time.

Yep the little lever is the hot start, cant really see how it could stick open though, you might want to investigate that..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.