Riding in heat

7 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted January 15, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Is there a certain temperature which is not recommended for riding (for the bike).

We don't seem to be getting many days under 35 degrees celsius here at the moment, but i'm busting for a ride.

On the odd occasion where my body thinks it can handle the heat, will it harm my 02 426 riding it in this heat provided the usual maintenance (oil, coolent etc) has been kept up to date.

Most of the riding is in relatively open terrain. Not too much tight stuff.

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2006 - 05:40 PM

Keep your oil fresh and you will be fine.

• new04450

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Rode mine here in Texas all hot summer long- on the trails all day and not a problem- we had 100+++ degree days here, and it did not over heat once. I agree with 642MX, keep the oil changed, I use Amzoil, and have been pleased

• pkcof

Posted January 16, 2006 - 12:02 AM

My '05 WR450 also copes well in the heat - sometimes even better than me - regular oil changes, keeping an eye on coolant level and FRESH air filters for the Aussie dust and you'll be covered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted January 16, 2006 - 02:34 AM

Is there a certain temperature which is not recommended for riding (for the bike).

We don't seem to be getting many days under 35 degrees celsius here at the moment, but i'm busting for a ride.

On the odd occasion where my body thinks it can handle the heat, will it harm my 02 426 riding it in this heat provided the usual maintenance (oil, coolent etc) has been kept up to date.

Most of the riding is in relatively open terrain. Not too much tight stuff.

I take it you are in WA!
Your bike will be fine, if by chance it does get really hot, just stop for a bit and wait till it cools. It is always 30 here, no problems at all.

• Strattos

Posted January 28, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I take it you are in WA!

Mildura in Victoria. Think it's worse at the moment. For the whole of January we've had nothing under around 35 degrees. Lost count of the amount of days at 40c (104F).

Been going out at 6am to go riding. Hoping this gives me a head start when it comes to the first enduro of the year here!!

• Matty05

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Sweet. I just moved back to the NT from Port Hedland WA.
Litterally where the desert meets the sea. What a shit hole.
Worst of all, the hottest place in Australia (Marble Bar) is like an hour a way.
We were used to 48 deg celcius (around 120 f for all you Americans!) days.
We just had to run our jetting a bit lean........

• bageera

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Dave here from Cambodia, We get into a bit of heat here as well in the hot season, 38-40c and near 100% humidity. I ride an 04 WR450f around 3000klm per month. I have yet to overheat my bike. I prep it as follows:

1, Radiator guards from Rooster. Full frontal protection from nasties in the jungle. Slight airflow reduction but no problem
2, Boyesen increased flow water pump impeller
3, Wrapped one layer of insulation then one layer of kevlar around header and exhaust clear to the muffler. This insulates heat away from the radiator and hose , fuel tank, and carb...... not to mention my leg/pants/boot.

Rehydration is just as important as my bike for me. Riding hard I take in 1 liter per hour min. I am 1.8m and 115 kilos

Care for body and machine are important in surviving the heat.

Dave in Paradise :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.