426 cooling ???

9 replies to this topic
  • quaddad

Posted January 15, 2006 - 04:20 PM

ok we put a 2000 yz 426 in a 400ex quad frame. the motor has a je 13 to 1 piston and was bored 2mm over to make it a 444, it has a hot cam auto decompression cam, fully ported and polished head, new valves. we installed a gt thunder raditor for a honda 250 r quad but no collant recovery bottle. we just got it running and sounds real stout but a little lean. problem is it spits coolant out of the overflow tube sometimes while running. do we have a problem or do we just need a overflow bottle on it.

Mark

• kawirider

Posted January 15, 2006 - 05:15 PM

How much coolant is it spitting and how often does it do it?

• nitro201

Posted January 15, 2006 - 07:55 PM

ok we put a 2000 yz 426 in a 400ex quad frame. the motor has a je 13 to 1 piston and was bored 2mm over to make it a 444, it has a hot cam auto decompression cam, fully ported and polished head, new valves. we installed a gt thunder raditor for a honda 250 r quad but no collant recovery bottle. we just got it running and sounds real stout but a little lean. problem is it spits coolant out of the overflow tube sometimes while running. do we have a problem or do we just need a overflow bottle on it.

Mark

This motor will run hot just sitting, air must flow thru the radiator to keep it form overheating. Dave with Eastcoast Atv quoted he had to run the Hybrid 426 1" below the radiator cap to keep the anti-freeze from expanded and running out of the overflow.

But I'm experiencing anti-freeze running out of my weep hole and have replaced my seals, bearings water pump shaft twice now and still no fix yet.. Any ideas....(Sounds like both of us may be experiecing the same problem)

• odlaw19

Posted January 16, 2006 - 01:15 AM

Just remember the coolant will expand!!
If you feel it to the rim.... it will overflow when it gets hot!

What is the total coolant capacity?

• nitro201

Posted January 16, 2006 - 03:42 AM

Quaddad,
What radiator cap are u running? Aftermarket 250r or stock?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • quaddad

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:44 PM

actually im not sure. i bought the radiator from a guy on ex riders and it came with a cap. i think i found our problem, the cap wasnt turned all the way. didnt get to start the quad after i found that since it had already gotten dark. i will try to post a pic or 2 of it.

Mark

• quaddad

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

• quaddad

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Posted Image

• quaddad

Posted January 16, 2006 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

• odlaw19

Posted January 16, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Thats a big a$$ radiator!!!

It shouldnt get hot if it has enough air flow.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.