Does WR 426 2001 have battery?

7 replies to this topic
  • mfp1706

Posted January 15, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Hello from Germany...
I just bought a 2001 WR426 and I wonder if it has a battery...?
I did not find one so far. Lighting etc. works fine when running. Taillight , Horn etc.
And even a long while after I turn it off, I can honk the horn. But not for long.
There must be a battery somewhere... there is none in or above the airbox.
Help... where is it. Does anybody have a WR Wiring Diagramm?

Other thing: Why does my bike not have a coolant reservoir. I got one (with some obscure tubes) in a cardbord box that came with the bike... Do I not need that?

The questions may sound stupid but I am new with this 4stroke bike.
But I was able to start it a couple of times... and test ride in our garden...
Hot start is still a secret to me

Matze

• hamboney

Posted January 15, 2006 - 01:42 PM

If it doesnt have electric start ,,which they didnt come out with till 03 or 04
it shouldnt have a battery,,I have an 01 wr250 basicly same bike just bigger motor,,no battery,,I dont know what to tell you about your horn,,,i;ve never seen a dirt bike with a horn,,after market maybe,,runs off vacume ??
I guess you dont need overflow,,the guy before must have been concerned about weight,,I would re-install it or keep a closer eye on fluid since they to boil over now and then .If all eles fails call dealership and get your hands on manual ,,good luck

• WildRide

Posted January 15, 2006 - 03:15 PM

You need to find a manual.

• Bamster

Posted January 15, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Check behind the headlight.
The previous owner might have wired in a nickel cad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tshe1

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Hello from Germany...
I just bought a 2001 WR426 and I wonder if it has a battery...?
I did not find one so far. Lighting etc. works fine when running. Taillight , Horn etc.
And even a long while after I turn it off, I can honk the horn. But not for long.
There must be a battery somewhere... there is none in or above the airbox.
Help... where is it. Does anybody have a WR Wiring Diagramm?

Other thing: Why does my bike not have a coolant reservoir. I got one (with some obscure tubes) in a cardbord box that came with the bike... Do I not need that?

The questions may sound stupid but I am new with this 4stroke bike.
But I was able to start it a couple of times... and test ride in our garden...
Hot start is still a secret to me

Matze

WR426 2001 does not come with battery

• Pooley

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:25 AM

OK, to answer your questions, since no one else wants to do more than a simple "no", or "check your manual"...

a STOCK 2001 WR 426 does NOT have a battery, nor does it have a horn, turn signals, working brake-light etc. It does have a headlight and taillight which already have both filaments for hi/low headlight and taillight/brakelight. In order to have a hi/low or actual brakelight, switches need to be installed and some wiring done.

It sounds like the previous owner put those things on aftermarket so your bike will be different than stock. If you have any paperwork, or can find any brand name logos on the parts...like BajaDesigns or other popular lighting kits, I would contact them to see how they recommend installing the kits. They may be able to point you in the direction of where the battery is, get a wiring diagram and the like.

As far as the coolant reservior...this is a stock item on the WR, a YZ does not have a reservior. Many people take them off to save weight, but if you are not interested in racing, I would recommend putting it back on as you can't go wrong with a little extra protection for your engine. You also may want to take your radiator cap to a shop or check it to make sure it is the right relief pressure. It is also common to put a higher pressure relief cap on so that the bike does not boil-over...especially if you do not have a reservior.

Hot start is when you have been riding and the engine is fully warmed up. The hot-start circuit leans out the mixture to make it start easier...its totally opposite of the choke. It sometimes needs this to start properly after stalling, dumping it or just when its hot and the bike is warm.

• wrinmontana

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:27 AM

I have the same bike and same scenario. The aftermarket baja kit uses a capacitor to "hold/store" some electricity for the components while riding. Once the bike is turned off, there is still some electricity in the capacitor available to use until gone. Hence the horn still works for a while etc... My capacitor was placed in the air box, 3 inches long by 1.5 inches in diameter and it is round. Hope this helps.
Jim

• tntmo

Posted January 16, 2006 - 09:36 AM

It won't have a battery in stock configurations, but check inside the airbox for a small battery. That is where the Baja Designs kit instructions place the battery.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.